VMware Cloud Community
Yosias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Changed Subnet to 24 bit server is dead

Hello there

We needed to reduce the scope of our DHCP and also change the subnet from 8 bit 255.0.0.0. to 24 bit 255.255.255.0. Everything went well until we changed the subnet of our host machine. After the change the server is totally inaccessible. The whole networking link shows no networking virtual switch or anything like that. Server is hosed, though I can access it via ILO port. Any suggestion on how to ressurect this beast?

Thanks a lot!!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If you can access the Yellow Console screen try restarting the Management Network. It might be worthwhile restarting the management agents as well.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Yosias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok let me try that. I am looking at the esxcfg-vswitch commands and I do not have any type of vSwitches though all my NICS are UP. How do I manually recreate my settings? Is it saved somewhere on a configuration file that I can reload?

Funny thing is that we just implemented a full automated backup to remote site! Phew!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Yosias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok I restart both processes but no go. Is there a way I can restore my settings from a networking file? This is pretty sad. Good thing we just implemented backup!

Thanks

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

We can't see what your network looks like. You will need to go through things step by step. Get the Management Network settings set correctly. You can set that up through the Yellow Console screen. You can test the network settings from there. Once you are able to connect through the the vSphere Client you should be able to adjust the rest of your network.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Yosias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok folks it was scary but I was able to bring back to life the dead host. pretty scary. whatever you do never EVER change the subnet mask of your host via VIC. it wiped out all settings

I used following site to readd mainly the vmkernel using Esxcfg-vmknic. so what I did was Alt+F1 then unsupported and then password of root and then follow point from following site.

http://vmware-land.com/esxcfg-help.html#EsxcfgVswif

Also it helps to have an ILO it will save you take it from me!!!!!

Thanks

0 Kudos