VMware Cloud Community
matt_dawg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Capture Cards

I am wondering if the new ESXi server can see capture cards and then allow the virtual machines access to them? Not sure if this is the right place to ask or not.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Only a guess, but I would expect that they would be - no idea when. When you really need to have a USB device in your VM, most people tend to go with a USB over IP device like this - http://www.digi.com/products/usb/anywhereusb.jsp. The nice thing about this, is that the VM is then movable between ESX hosts.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi supports a limited hardware set and items like capture cards, modems, special graphics cards are not supported. The VM's hardware is limited to processor, NIC, disk, floppy / CD -rom / serial /paralell port. You can pass through a generic SCSI device (like tape devices) and at this point USB is not supported for passthrough.

matt_dawg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you you answered my next question as well about usb capture cards. You mentioned for now they are not supported are they slated to be supported in the future?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Only a guess, but I would expect that they would be - no idea when. When you really need to have a USB device in your VM, most people tend to go with a USB over IP device like this - http://www.digi.com/products/usb/anywhereusb.jsp. The nice thing about this, is that the VM is then movable between ESX hosts.

0 Kudos
matt_dawg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh thanks I never would have thought about that. I am looking at consolidating an old security sytem to VM wasn't sure if it was possible but sounds like it might be. Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos