VMware Cloud Community
obuxarrais
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot revert snapshot after resize vmdk disk

Hi.

I explain us the problem :

We have a VM (Based on Notes Domino Server) and yesterday we had to resize DATA disk for disk space problem.

Infrastructure :

• VI3 : VC 2.5 | ESX 3.5 Update 2

• VM -> Server Domino Windows 2003 Standard (Two disks : C (SO 12GB) and 😧 (DATA 95GB))

Solution :

• We needed resize 😧 disk to 115GB

Troubleshooting :

• Steps we followed and we did commit a error :

1. Before resize disk, we take Snaphot of VM when Domino Service is running.

2. We couldn't resize 😧 disk with "Edit Settings". We take one of solution -> Remove disk of Domino Server and attached to other VM and resize it to 115GB.

3. Then we removed the disk attached and modified to other VM and re-attached to Domino Server.

4. When Domino Powered on and started, the service of Notes Domino did running and if you know (if the Domino service is running but it can't connect to the Databases, it leave databases corrupts). The question i, when started server, disk 😧 didn't initialize and Domino service corrupted all databases.

• Steps to recover :

1. We have a ARCServe backup of VM but it takes at 7AM and all works on yesterday will be lost. Notes ITs tells us that is one solution but no guaranteed it to work.

2. We have a Snaphot of VM on 4:30 PM and it contains all data modified in yesterday but we can't reverted because disk "D:" it leaves equal (on databases are corrupt) because it can't takes the original size of 😧 disk because now it have 115GB extend, no 95GB.

We don't believe it because VMware shows revert snapshot completed successfully! But with Notes IT demostrates us that there are logs on 5 PM while Snapshot takes it on 4:30PM.

--> When we revert snapshot on VM, 😧 disk shows in DiskManagement but desappears in one moment because we deduce that it can't take the original size.

We readed some posts and we take a look on CID problem in VMDK snapshots after it's resize.

What can we do to solve the problem? We already take a copy of VM files to another renamed folder. We had converted VM on other VM with disk 😧 resized on 96,79GB, isn't allowed 95GB exactly.

Already we have 2 VMs with copied files of original VM and we have reinventory on VI3 with a different name.

Can we take other way to try revert Snapshot correctly?

Thanks for all and sorry for my poor english.

King Regards

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would open a SR with VMware. Assuming you have a service contract. If not I would pay for a support incident. You can also post your problem to http://sanbarrow.com/sickbay

At this point the more things you just try makes it more difficult to fix anything if it is possible.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Wait, so you took a snapshot and then tried to extend the disk? This is not allowed in ESX(i) 3.5 which would explain why the D drive is corrupt and you cannot revert back to the snapshot. At this point, it is probably best to open a SR if you want to save the VM/disk

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos