VMware Cloud Community
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Can't register vms from a datastore

This is a strange one. I added two NFS datastores that have existing vms on them, to a 2 node cluster this is a DR site and we're doing testing.

I added vms from one datastore without an issue. When I add one from the second datastore it registers the vm but is grayed out with (invalid) following the name.

I checked the NFS permissions and they are good. I can create and delete a folder on the datastore while browsing. I ahve the same datastore on another cluster in the site and I can register the same vms on these without a problem. Iremoved and readded thedatastore to the hosts with the same result.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Are the export files configured the same on both shares? Do you have

no_root_squash on the problem one?

On Jul 8, 2009, at 5:32 PM, pdrace <communities-emailer@vmware.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

What options do you have when you right click the invalad VM? Is there another vm with the same name? How many NFS datastores are attached to the host? do you get the same if you register the VM from the console? any errors in /var/log/messages ?

Are all of the hosts the same build?

Message was edited by: Chamon

0 Kudos
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What options do you have when you right click the invalad VM? Is there another vm with the same name? How many NFS datastores are attached to the host? do you get the same if you register the VM from the console? any errors in /var/log/messages ?

Are all of the hosts the same build?

Message was edited by: Chamon

I can remove it not much else. No vm with the same name, I even went to each host using the VIC and there were no phantom vms. Tried to register it directly on a host and it creates an unknown(invald) vm .Only 2 datastores attached to the host. I copied a folder from this datastore to the other NFS datastore and was able to register a vm so the problem seems to be with this particular datastore and hosts for some reason. It happens with any vm on it with these hosts No error messages in any logs. All hosts are at the same build level.

Message was edited by: pdrace

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Are the export files configured the same on both shares? Do you have

no_root_squash on the problem one?

On Jul 8, 2009, at 5:32 PM, pdrace <communities-emailer@vmware.com

0 Kudos
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Export options are the same other hosts have no problem with this share.

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

This is strange. Have you looked at this post.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1006733#1006733

How many VMs are on this data store?

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

This one too.

http://blatbox.com/?p=52

0 Kudos
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

There are a dozen vms on it. I tried deleting all files except the vmdks and vmx on one, same result.

If i create a new vm and then try to add existing disks on these hosts no valid vmdk files are found.

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Take a look at this and see if anything here helps.

http://itsupportjournal.com/2008/12/09/fix-invalid-guest-on-virtual-center/

0 Kudos
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I got back to looking at this today. After registering a vm from the problematic datastore this shows up in the hostd log.

Task Created : haTask-ha-folder-vm-vim.Folder.registerVm-30719

Register called: []/vmfs/volumes/7f5dcc1d-6a22a0b0/PSFSDO/PSFSDO.vmx

Foundry_CreateEx failed: Error: You do not have access rights to this file

Failed to load virtual machine.

State Transition (VM_STATE_INITIALIZ

ING -&gt; VM_STATE_INVALID_CONFIG)

Marking VirtualMachine invalid

Event 603 : Registered Unknown 4 on strsviweb1dr.strs.us in ha-datacenter

Task Completed : haTask-ha-folder-vm-vim.Folder.registerVm-30719

Task Created : haTask-ha-root-pool-vim.ResourcePool.updateConfig-30721

Task Completed : haTask-ha-root-pool-vim.ResourcePool.updateConfig-30721

The NFS export permissions are exactly the same on this datastore as the other datastore mounted on this host.

0 Kudos
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Mystery solved. When I added these hosts the clones of these volumes already existed.

The particular volume I was having a problem with had a QTREE, Netapp term for directory that the vms sit in.

We are replicating at the Volume level not the Qtree level so you end up with two exports on at the volume level and one at the qtree level. I had set permissions at the volume level but not at the qtree (directory) which is the mount point.

What was confusing is that you could create new folders and vms even though no permissions had been granted. you just couldn't write to the existing replicated folder structure.

0 Kudos