VMware Cloud Community
rbrieck
Contributor
Contributor

Can't install OS from host server's CD drive

Hello,

I am trying to install Red Hat 5.3 into a VM created on an ESXi 3.5 host. I want to use the CD drive on the host. The drive works. I recently used it to install ESXi 3.5. This is my first OS install in a VM. I've tried booting into the BIOS and selecting the CD drive as the boot device, but it ignores it. The server attempts to do a PXE boot install and errors off as I don't have a PXE server set up. The server is an IBM xSeries 365. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,

Richard

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
EGRAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi rbrieck,

I hate to ask but is it a bootable CD?

I had one of my guys had me a mislabeled CD with only an i386 directory to install Windows 2K3 once....

Assuming it's bootable (Which I'm going to guess it is);

Try editing the VM settings;

Make sure you have a virtual CD-ROM installed and set to client device.

Then select the options tab.

Set your boot delay to 6000Ms and you can press the escape button to get into the boot options.

Once there, map your client CDROM to the guest VM and select CD ROM form the options list.

Or you can put the CD in the host and select the host CD ROM as the guest VM CD ROM device. You'll still need to select the boot option after hitting the esc key during boot up.

This is the setup we needed to do on our IBM 3650 (non-M2) systems to get it to boot to CD ROM.

rbrieck
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply EGRAdmin. Yes, the CD is bootable :). I tried to use the host CD drive. In the Virtual Machine Properties windows the device type is set to Host Device. The path to it is /vmfs/devices/genide/vmhba0:0 . That is the only option in the list box.. I hit ESCand got into the BIOS on VM startup. The Boot Menu displays showing 4 items. The CD-ROM Drive is listed first and is highlighted. I hit Enter and a network boot begins and errors off.

I have successfully started an OS install using the client drive, but I keep getting a box saying the CD drive was disconnected. A few times I could get it to continue after reconnecting it, but the install process would eventually hang. That's when I decided to try the host drive to eliminate any network issues. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
rbrieck
Contributor
Contributor

A piece of further information on this issue:

When powering up the host server up with the CD of the OS I want to install (Red Hat 5.3) I am to read from the CD and successfully complete the Linux install. So to me that proves that both the media and the CD Drive are good. Now when I start from scratch and install ESXi 3.5 on the host everything goes fine. I am able to make VMs. When I attempt to install the same OS I did earler on bare metal I cannot boot from the host's CD drive. The same one I used earlier! I'd really appreciate help on this one as I am at a standstill on building the server. Thanks!

0 Kudos
PaulSvirin
Expert
Expert

If it does not want to boot from the CDROM at all you can cure it by recreating the virtual machine using the same vmdk. This is especially useful if you are trying to install a new OS over the installed one.

---

iSCSI SAN software

--- iSCSI SAN software http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
rbrieck
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Paul. I'm not sure how to do that. Wouldn't that mean I'd have to have already installed an OS in one vm already?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From what you said (and tested) your CD seems to be ok/bootable.

At the moment I'm not sure if there is anything in the vmware.log file about that, however it's worth taking a look at it.

As a workaround, create a new folder in your ESX's datastore (e.g. ISO-files), upload an ISO image of your installation CD and try booting from this ISO image.

André

HannaL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is the 4 digit machine type of the IBM server? is it really an x365 or is it an x3650? Those are two totally different servers. Unfortunately the x365 does not support any version of ESX higher than 3.0 according to the VMware HCL and IBM serverproven. But if it is an x3650 then it is supported starting with Update4 level of ESXi 3.5 and the HCL says to contact IBM hardware support for configuration information.

Since this is a new setup for you I would recommend calling IBM to make sure you get it set up right the first time before it's in production. The VM install issue is less important than making sure your server is on the HCL. But the iso option would be the next thing to try after you are sure the environment is in a supported configuration if it still doesn't work. Also make sure you have the "connect at power on" selected in the cd-rom config of the vm. But this sounds like you might want to contact IBM support.

this link shows the x365:

this shows the x3650:

the VMware HCL also gives no results when searching for x365 and ESXi 3.5 but here is more info on x3650 and ESXi 3.5:

[]=32&datePosted=-1&partnerId[]=-1&formFactorId[]=-1&filterByEVC=0&filterByFT=0&min_sockets=&min_cores=&min_memory=&rorre=0

Hope that helps

Hanna

Hope that helps, Hanna --- BSCS, VCP2, VCP VI3, VCP vSphere, VCP 5 https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/vmware-support-ibm
0 Kudos
rbrieck
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Andre. I've gone to the ISO in the datastore method and that works fine. It seems that there are some machines that just have this problem. I saw that in some VMware online doc as well.

Richard

0 Kudos
rbrieck
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks f l the research Hanna! It seems best to go by the official sprecs on this issue for now as you suggest. I was hoping to use the latest version and was hopeful when the install of 3.5 seemed successful. I didn't see anything in the "Events" tab in in the VI client. Is that vmware.log that is displayed there? I'm not sure of its location. I will try 3.0 now. Maybe that will clear up this issue and my OS install issue you may have seen in another thread. I was able to get as far as the OS install since I decided to go with the datastore ISO as a workaround.

Richard

0 Kudos
rbrieck
Contributor
Contributor

Hanna,

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question as to the box type. It is a xSeries 365 and not a 3650.

Richard

0 Kudos
HannaL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

3.0.3 Update1 was just released in March, 2010 and according to the life cycle policy it is supported until 2011

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/releasenotes_esx303_u1.html

http://www.vmware.com/support/policies/lifecycle/vi/maintenance.html#esx_v3.0

I'm sure someone in IBM would be willing to sell you a newer server in a year Smiley Wink

Hope that helps

Hanna

Hope that helps, Hanna --- BSCS, VCP2, VCP VI3, VCP vSphere, VCP 5 https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/vmware-support-ibm
0 Kudos