VMware Cloud Community
Candyman111
Contributor
Contributor

Can't get VM to find CD or datastore files

This seems to be a common topic for those new to ESX (me included), but i can't seem to get this to work.

I have a Dell R710 server with ESXi 3.5.0 installed and i have created a VM just as i had done before with VM Server, but i can't get it to see the CD or ISO files wither it's in the host or client machine. I have made an ISO with Nero software and uploaded that to the datastore, but I can't get it to reconize that either. It boots and waits 10 seconds, as i have changed that to that, tell it to boot from CD, but it doesn't see the files. I have even recreated the VM but get the same problem as i read that on a previous post. In the VM Settings under CD/DVD. I have it mark to connect at power on when the option is available. I have tried with the client selected and i have an ISO file which i have picked. No luck. Tried same but selecting CD (D drive) with the CD on the client computer, but no luck. I have used the datastore for the CD file and it still, no luck. I even tried the host setting for CD and inserted the file into the server but... no luck.

The CD that the OS is on does work. When i insert it into a computer the install starts.

I have been through these fourms the last few days looking for an answer that could help me but I can't seem to find anything that works. help!! Smiley Sad

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I'm curious have you uploaded the iso to the right datastore where ESXi can access? When using VI Client connect to the host, click on host->configuration->datastore->do you see the datastore listed and right click on it to browse and do you see the .iso there? Then go back to VM, and edit it to point to iso using "Datastore ISO File" option and browse to it and make sure you selected "Connect when power on" and "Connected" both. If doesn't work, can you add additional CD/ROM device and do the same thing? What happen if you have a bootable CD and place it on your machine and selected "Client device" option instead? or use "Host Device" if you place the CD with ESXi host? Just to make sure the CD/ROM is actually functional correctly.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
Candyman111
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
Candyman111
Contributor
Contributor

I did check and it appears the datastore does have my ISO file. I attached an image of this so you can verify.

I added a second CD drive and pointed it to that same ISO file, but it still doesn't see it. Second image attached

I have put the bootable CD in my machine and used Client Device as well

as use Host Device with the CD in the server drive but it won't see it

there either.

0 Kudos
Candyman111
Contributor
Contributor

I ended up switching the SCSI connection to BUS and putting in an XP disc to see if i could install that. It did, so i installed XP then from within that OS installed 2003 server. I was able to install a 2008 server with LSI SCSI connection, which i think was my problem. Didn't know much of a difference between the options on a VM regarding SCSI, but i sure do now Smiley Happy Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos