VMware Cloud Community
steeef
Contributor
Contributor

Can't add guest network adapter to particular port group

I have a port group named Backup added to a VMKernel port, attached to a separate vSwitch. I use this group to separate the backup network from the rest of my network, with a VLAN defined on the physical switch the ESX host is connected to. This vSwitch is connected to vmnic0, and I use vmnic1 for normal traffic.

When I first created this port group, I had 6 different VMs, each with two virtual network adapters, one connected to the normal network, and one to the Backup. However, when I edit their settings in VI Client, the second adapter looks as though it's not connected to any port group, when I know it's connected to Backup. They've been working fine though, as they can ping each other and the backup server within IP range I'm using for the backup network.

Unfortunately, I didn't document how I added these guest network adapters to the Backup port group, and now that I'm trying to add a second adapter to another VM, I can't select the Backup group as the "Network label" in VI Client. I've looked through documentation on the esxcfg commands to see if this is possible via the command line, but none of the listed commands seem to be what I'm looking for.

Any help?

For reference, here's the result from esxcfg-vswitch:

-

Switch Name Num Ports Used Ports MTU Uplinks

vSwitch3 64 8 9000 vmnic0

PortGroup Name VLAN ID Used Ports Uplinks

Backup 0 5 vmnic0

-

And here's the result from esxcfg-vmnic:

-

Interface Port Group IP Address Netmask MAC

Address

vmk0 Backup 10.100.50.2 255.255.255.0 00:50:56:71:95:22

-

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

A vmkernel port is not used for virtual machine traffic. It is used by the esx server for storage (iscsi/nfs) and for vmotion. For backup traffic, you need to create another virtual machine portgroup on the backup network. It will not have an IP address assigned to it, the vm's do that.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
steeef
Contributor
Contributor

That makes sense. I believe I created the VMkernel NIC when I was trying to identify the VLAN on the host. I'm still not sure why the other guest machines have adapters that aren't members of any port group, though.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

If you deploy from a template, and the portgroup in the template does not exist, then you get vNICs that aren't on any portgroup. New NICs can get that way too.

Don't forget to leave points for helpful/correct posts.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos