VMware Cloud Community
ninsell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't Add Existing VMDK

I have recently made a copy of a virtual server hard drive through ESXI 3.5 and Infrastructure client. The copy looks like it went through fine and i can see the files both through the console and through infrastructure client.

Curiously when i go to add the copied VMDK file to a new hard disk on a new virtual machine i can't see the VMDK file in the file browser. I have tired manually adding this to the vmx file but still no joy.

Has anyone encountered this problem before?

Thanks

Nick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
quickr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I encounter same issue, But I tried the clone, it worked. please try vmkfstools -i src_disk clone_disk

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you make a copy of the entire folder?

Of only of the single vmdk file?

Each disk (in ESX) is defined by the .vmdk (very small) and the -flat.vmdk (the disk blocks).

You need both to add again (or you have to recreate the descriptor).

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
savantsingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you copy both *.vmdk and -flat.vmdk files.

You would need both files to be able to add them to a VM. One stores the actual data and one depicts the geographical structure of the vmdk.

I would suggest to copy both the files to the new VM's folder>> try and add the HD

Hope this helps!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
ninsell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think that only the file was copied.

When i look in SSH in the original folder there is one 8 GIG file called "Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition-Flat.vmdk" and another 64k file called "Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.vmdk".

When i look in the new folder i can see the following.

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition-f001.vmdk

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition-f002.vmdk

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition-f003.vmdk

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition-f004.vmdk

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition-f005.vmdk

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.vmdk

How would i go about recreating the descriptor?

0 Kudos
ninsell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have found out that the file format is twoGbMaxExtentFlat and our current version of ESX can't read this.

0 Kudos
quickr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I encounter same issue, But I tried the clone, it worked. please try vmkfstools -i src_disk clone_disk

0 Kudos
ninsell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ended up getting the format of the files into the right file system using vCentre Standalone Converter.

Thanks

0 Kudos