VMware Cloud Community
lrosa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can not download vmware-client.exe from ESXi Server's web page

Aloha,

I used VMware-VMvisor-InstallerCD-3.5.0_Update_3-123629.i386.iso to create cd and successfully installed ESXi on server. However, from client workstation I can not download the VMware-viclient.exe file from the servers webpage. Error page says webpage cannot be found.

I checked the cd and de-compressed all the *.tgz files. None of them contained VMware-vclient.exe

A link to the VMware-vclient.exe would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Luis

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kooltechies
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Can you try the steps below.

1) ssh to the ESXi box using putty or any other ssh client.

2) Go to /locker/packages/3.5.0/ folder look for Vi client folder in that you should have the viclient.exe file.

3) Once you get the file scp it to your windows desktop using winscp then install it.

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that the answer is helpful please consider rewarding points.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Is your ESXi host online? That seems very weird that you can not access the host webpage... Have you tried connecting to it by host name and IP address? If you download the vCenter disk that contains the VI Client.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
lrosa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The host is online. I've only tried using the IP address (test segment no local dns server). Using IE browser I do display the ESXi servers web page. The page has a link to the vmware-viclient.exe. When I click on the link --the error file not found displays in the browser.

The link path is:

Luis

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Can you try the steps below.

1) ssh to the ESXi box using putty or any other ssh client.

2) Go to /locker/packages/3.5.0/ folder look for Vi client folder in that you should have the viclient.exe file.

3) Once you get the file scp it to your windows desktop using winscp then install it.

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that the answer is helpful please consider rewarding points.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
lrosa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion. Got a connection refused message from putty

Luis

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

DISCLAIMER : VMware doesn't encourage access to ssh directly on the ESXi server and it's unsupported, the process outlined below is just to help in resolving the problem.

This means you don't have ssh enable on the ESX , you need to enable ssh on the box first. In order to do that you need to physically access the Console of ESXi and then follow the process mentioned below.

During the boot sequence, you need to type shift+o and type in the keyword unsupported or shell at the GRUB boot screen.

After the ESX 3i server has booted, select ALT+F1 to get to the tty console, and you’ll either get a login prompt or again type the keyword unsupported or shell to get a login prompt.

Uncomment the ssh line in /etc/inetd.conf

ssh stream tcp nowait root /sbin/dropbearmulti dropbear –I

look for PID of inetd process by using ps | grep inetd

Restart the inetd process by sending it a kill SIGHUP.

kill -1 <pid of inetd>

Then try ssh to the machine.

Thanks,

Samir

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

how bout just pointing you favorite brower to the IP on the HOST

0 Kudos
jonmason
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

did you ever get a usefull response to this problem, i have downloaded the sphere client from the vmware site direct, i can give you the link , but its pretty easy to find..

i would like to resolve the homepage not allowing people to download the client , as its a bit a pain for the level 2 admins that dont always have external access.

thanks

Jon

0 Kudos