VMware Cloud Community
BOYDcc
Contributor
Contributor

Can I power on a VM while the snapshot is deleting

I received this error: msg.hbacommon.outofspace: there is no more space for the redo log

after running out of space in my datastore. I do have a large snapshot Over 100gb that i committed (deleted) and did that while the machine was powered off (had to abort after getting the error above).

The snapshot is committing (95%) but looks like it will take a while. Can i safely start the VM to get my network back up while this snapshot is still commiting or do i need to wait it out for the snapshot to commit before powering on the machine.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BOYDcc
Contributor
Contributor

I did not attempt to power on but have been logged out of the VIC, it says it lost communication. Now when i try to reestablish connection with the VIC it says"

The VMware infrastructure client was unable to establish connection with server 192.168.9.5

Details: the server took too long to respond

i am able to ping the esxi at 192.168.9.5 but can't access the vic download at that same address using IE or cannot conect to it using the VIC.

0 Kudos
BOYDcc
Contributor
Contributor

I've not noticed the console is completely locked up. I do not want to restart the hypervisor in the event i may corrupt my snapshot as it commits (which is the processes that was last running when we lost connection).

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You can only do 1 operation at a time per VM. It's risky to do otherwise, and I don't think the commands will let you anyway.

If your redo log is full, I question the integrity of the snapshot. You might want to get those backups / restorations prepared just in case.

0 Kudos
BOYDcc
Contributor
Contributor

I paid for a support call and am on with them now, Keep suggestions coming. I will update the discussion as we have udpates.

0 Kudos
BOYDcc
Contributor
Contributor

With the assistance of tech support we entered unsupported mode on the hypervisor and then drilled down into the datastore to see the actual files. we could see that the _delta files (there wer 2 prior to the snapshot delete (consolidation) action) were being consolidated. Only 1 delta file exists at this point the first has already been committed. We are now waiting (refreshing the screen) to see when the 2nd delta file is fully committed. There is not status change when viewing the files this way but you just have to wait until the commit finishes after which we expect to only see our vmdk files that represent the 2 drives.

Expected wait time at this point (95gb remaining) is about 10gb per hour , or that's what our first delta file commit looked to take.

0 Kudos