VMware Cloud Community
RickHogan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can ESXi with a 64 bit processor run 32 bit guests?

This (stupid) question has probably been asked a hundred times, but I couldn't get anything out of the search, and I really need to confirm this before allocating a large percentage of my hardware budget to a new server (A decision has to be made in the AM tomorrow, or someone else gets my $$)...

Can I put my current 32bit (Windows 2000 / 2003) Guest VM's onto an ESXi host running 64 bit (Quad-core Xeon) processors?

And as long as I am cluttering up the forum with stupid questions, are there any known problems in running this configuration?

Thanks for all your help!

Rick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, ALL processors can run 32-bit guests. 64-bit guests require certain hardware features of CPU and motherboard/BIOS.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, ALL processors can run 32-bit guests. 64-bit guests require certain hardware features of CPU and motherboard/BIOS.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can I put my current 32bit (Windows 2000 / 2003) Guest VM's onto an ESXi host running 64 bit (Quad-core Xeon) processors?

YES.

And as long as I am cluttering up the forum with stupid questions, are there any known problems in running this configuration?

NO

RickHogan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Excellent!!!

Thank you guys for the quick and direct answers!!

Rick

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ALL PENTIUM equivalent processors can run 32-bit Guests Smiley Happy x86 pre P60 cannot 0;

0 Kudos