VMware Cloud Community
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

CPU performance counters

On an ESXi server hosting several Windows VMs I see that the average CPU usage is usually less than 60%, that sounds normal.

Many VM are powered on but about idle, while few other are largely used to test appluication and operating system setup procedures.

The CPU Ready counter for working VMs can rise to 2000, that sounds strange as the average CPU usage for the whole of the server is usually less than 60%.

Can anybody please help me understanding the reason of this strange (to me) behavior?

Can anybody please help me detecting the configuration errors and, maybe, eliminate them?

Regards

marius

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

How many vCPUs are in these guests?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

How many VMs are you running on the host? Do they have more than 1 vCPU? What type and how many processors do your ESX hosts have?

This information will help determine what could be causing this behavior -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

All the client VM have only 1 vCPU. Some VM were originally configured to use 2 vCPU, but now they use only 1.

Marius

0 Kudos
arosemblat
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Marius,

Are the issues you are describing in the initial post occurring with all VMs provisioned 1 vCPU, or when some VMs had 2 vCPUs?

Alex Rosemblat

VKernel

0 Kudos