VMware Cloud Community
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

CPU Virtualization Problem

I have installed ESXi 3.5 on a HP Proliant ML350 G5. The hardware has 2 dual core cpu's at 3GHz. I installed Windows Server 2008 64 bits on a new virtual machine. During the creation process, I specifically set the number of processors to 4. However, after I installed WS 2008, Windows recognizes only 2 CPU's. Before ESXi 3.5, the PC had WS 2008 64 bits , and that installation did recognize the 4 CPU's.

Did I miss something during install? Is there any way for the virtual OS to recognize the 4 real CPU's?

0 Kudos
43 Replies
Chamon
Commander
Commander

I think he said that he did see all 4 in the device manager but just not under task manager. He only saw 2 there

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

Once you get this worked out do you really need all 4? In ESX for vCPU more isn't always better.

0 Kudos
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I'm aware of the limitations in using all the resources in one VM. We are software developers, and some of our applications requiere a lot of resources, including CPU. We had to virtualize because we are trying to explore developing in Linux, and we only have one server. Therefore, we need virtualization and we need all the resources available for testing purposes.

So, if I can see 4 CPU's under the device manager, then the virtual PC contains the 4 processors alright, but is windows the one limiting me? Then is this a Windows issue? What I don't understand is the fact that I used the same installation before instaling ESXi, the same Windows Server install disc, and the physical OS reported 4 CPU's in the taskmanager.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

The SBS issue was the exact same. Sorry I keep harping on that. Microsoft sees 2 CPUs (just with dual cores), so you're presented with 4 cpu's at the guest level. ESX presents it as 4 vCPU's, which you are seeing, but only allow two.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

Then it's a Microsoft issue? Windows Server 2008 Enterprise can't see 4 CPU's? It can see 2 dual core, but not 4 single core?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Of course it can. The MS OS doesn't even know it's a core vs a cpu. think you will need to look into the OS, not the hypervisor.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

I don't get it then. MS OS can see all 4 CPU's, obviously, because the device manager detects all 4 of them, however, the task manager can't, it detects only 2, at this point everything points to an OS problem. The problem is I didn't get that issue when I installed the same OS (using the same installation disc) in the same physical hardware. The problem occured when I installed the VM over ESXi 3.5 Server, so now everything points to some issue with the virtualization process, right?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Please verify what version of windows you are installing. If you are seeing processors but can't use the, then you are limited in your processor usage from licensing. The difference here is physical vs logical processors. When you had installed previously, you saw two physical processors, and 4 logical processors, and so were allowed to use all. In the case now, you are seeing 4 physical processors, and can only use two. This is a licensing limitations. You are tied to a physical processorlicense, and not a logical processor license. It is the same with ESX. You are licensed for a two processor license, but can use dual or quad core CPU's, for 4 logical processors in your case. These presented to a vm are seen as physical processors. If you were using windows 2003 enterprise edition, there should not be a processor limit.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

what does it say for NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS in your system variables?

0 Kudos
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS has a value of 2.

Also, I've mentioned it earlier, I'm using WS 2008 Enterprise Edition.

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

since the cpus show in device manager, have you tried redetecting the hal,

MSConfig, Boot -> Advanced Options..., check "Detect Hal", restart. Or: bcdedit /set detecthal yes. Seem's a bit weird though....

0 Kudos
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

Tried hal detection using both methods. Still the same. 4 vCPU's in the device manager, 2 vCPU's in the task manager. You are right, it's a little bit weird. Any other sugestions?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

take a snapshot of your VM, then change your system variables for number of processors to 4, reboot and see what happens. If it blows up, revert back to the snapshot.

0 Kudos
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

I changed the number of processors to 4 and rebooted. Number of processors changed back to 2, still the same problem. I think that was a long shot, but thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't suppose you have /numproc=2 in your boot.ini?

0 Kudos
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

No, I don't have that option in my boot.ini

I'm starting to think it's a license issue. Still, I though Windows Server 2008 didn't have such a low threshold of physical processors, only 2, I think it's about 8. I'm starting to feel robbed Smiley Happy.

0 Kudos
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

Does anybody have a clue of the solution to my problem??? Please???

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Is it possible to download an updated ISO from MicroSoft?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

I have Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition Service Pack 1. I can't download another copy, but I think my installation is updated enough, isn't it?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I think you may want to ping Microsoft on this one. I'm still thinking it's an OS limit imposed somewhere, but I just can't see where. You're seeing the processors, but can't use them.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos