VMware Cloud Community
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

CPU Virtualization Problem

I have installed ESXi 3.5 on a HP Proliant ML350 G5. The hardware has 2 dual core cpu's at 3GHz. I installed Windows Server 2008 64 bits on a new virtual machine. During the creation process, I specifically set the number of processors to 4. However, after I installed WS 2008, Windows recognizes only 2 CPU's. Before ESXi 3.5, the PC had WS 2008 64 bits , and that installation did recognize the 4 CPU's.

Did I miss something during install? Is there any way for the virtual OS to recognize the 4 real CPU's?

0 Kudos
43 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Verify that hyper-threading is enable both in BIOS and in ESX (Configuration/CPU).

Anyway is a bad idea to create a single VM with the max number of available core.

You may have performance issue.

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I just couldn't find the hyper-threading option in my esxi server. I'm using VI Client to acces to ESXi. Where exactly is it located?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

I noticed that through VI Client, in the summary tab of my ESXi Server, Hyperthreading appears as "Inactive". Exactly how do I activate it?

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

You will need to enable it in the BIOS of your ESX host.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Are you running small business server? We saw this issue in the forums a bit ago. SBS allows two CPUs. On the physical, that was 2 cpu's with 2 cores, but in a vm, those cpu's show up as 4 cpu's, which SBS does not use. I'm guessing that's the state you're in. Your OS can see 4 vCPUs (check device manager and you should see 4), but you are limited to using only 2. Taskmgr should only show 2 vCPUs also.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

I checked and rechecked my BIOS, (ESXi host machine) and there is nothing about hyperthreading. Any clues?

0 Kudos
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

What do you mean by SBS? I installed Windows Server Enterprise Edition 2008 in the virtual machine. When I installed it on the physical machine it showed the 4 CPUs. I checked what you said. In the device manager there are 4 CPUs, but the taskmgr keeps showing only 2. Is it a bug then?

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

What you are looking for I believe would be Intel-V. I have AMD and we needed to enable the AMD processor Virtualization. So I would think that you need to look at the BIOS and for the processor settings. If your processors support it. Have you verified this?

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

Small Business Server. In the edit settings for your VM how many vCPUs does it have?

0 Kudos
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I had to enable Intel-V in order to install WS 2008 64 Bits, otherwise, the OS reported me he couldn't be installed on a 32 bits architecture. I don't know if I mentioned it, the hardware specs are as follows:

Manufacturer:

HP

Model:

ProLiant ML350 G5

Processors:

4 CPU x 3 GHz

Processor Type:

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5160 @ 3.00GHz

Hyperthreading:

Inactive

Total Memory:

6.00 GB

Number of NICs:

State:

connected

Virtual Machines:

VMotion Enabled:

No

Actually, the CPUs are two Dual Core Intel Xeon, hence, the 4 CPU's

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

We have it enabled on one cluster and in the VIC it shows Hyper threading N/A but when you check it from the console it shows the proc virtualization enabled

esxcfg-info |grep -i hv

the 3 means enabled 2 is not enabled. I will try to find the post where I got this info as it contains more info.

0 Kudos
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

I have 4 vCPU's in the Virtual Machine. I undestand the acronym SBS, what I don't understand is the meaning of it. When is it said I'm running a Small Business Server?

0 Kudos
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running ESXi 3.5 Server, I can gain access to it only through VI Client. I haven't found any way of executing commands in the server, so I can't execute

esxcfg-info |grep -i hv

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Go into device manager. Check how many processors you see listed there.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

I think he is saying that SBS can not use more then 2 CPUs so even though you gave it 4 the OS can only see 2

0 Kudos
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

kjb007, yes I understanded what SBS mean. What I don't understan is when it is said I'm running a SBS. I installed WS 2008 Enterprise Edition, is it a SBS??? I think I understand the problem I have then, for some reason hyperthreading is not enabled, I cannot enable it, because there is no single option in my host CPU where I can enable it. Therefore, ESXi gives 4 virtual CPU (not 2 dual virtual ones), therefore, Windows 2008 Server Enterprise Edition only admits 2 of them??? Is that my problem? Then how can I solve it?If that's my problem, then Microsoft is stealing my money Smiley Happy, 2 CPU's only??? PLEASE Smiley Happy

[

|~kjb007]

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

That limitation is for SBS 2008,not for enterprise. Enterprise should let you see your processors. Again, from the OS, go into device manager, do you see all 4 processors there?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
aldav
Contributor
Contributor

kjb007, yes, I can see the 4 processors in the device manager in the virtual WS 2008. I think I mentioned earlier. There are 4 CPU's under "Processors" treenode in the device manager. What I can't see is 4 processors in the Task Manager, only 2.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

This is an OS limitation of some sort. If you can see 4 processors in device manager, then ESX is presenting 4 CPUs to you. If you are only seeing two in your task manager, then your OS is ignoring 2 / 4 processors. It can see the processors, but is not using the processors. That's why I mentioned SBS, but if you are sure you are using an 2008/2003 enterprise, then something else in the OS is limiting you.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos