VMware Cloud Community
Pagri
Contributor
Contributor

CPU Using over the single core maximum - NT4.0

Hi,

This may sound like a very strange one, but maybe just something i am completly missing:-

I have 2 x R900's in the Farm with 4 x 6 core processors (2.7Ghz processor speed)

I have a NT4.0 Virtual machine running on ESXi 3.5, this is running a single vCPU, i would have prefered 2 vCPUs but unfortunatly ESX does not support multiple processors for NT4

When the processor is peaking it has been peaking at around 2.6Ghz, which is the max of each core - so in my view this is perfectly normal, as my reservation limits are set to 'unlimited'

Now here is the strange bit, last night after reviewing my performance data i actually found that the single CPU peaked at 4.8Ghz, now the question is how is this possible? as i thought the maximum a single cpu could use is based of the max speed each phyiscal core can kick out?

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Where are you reading the CPU usage stats from?

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
Pagri
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Im getting the stats from the Virtual Centre (vCentre 4) - in the performance overview tab and under CPU Usage (MHz)

Cheers

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've also seen this behaviour on 1 vCPU ESXi guests with nested VMs - but haven't looked into why.

0 Kudos