VMware Cloud Community
nonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Build Version of ESX

Recently I did some patching in our test environment, and I kind of ran into an issue where the ESX console with show me the build number as "VMware ESX Server 3.5.0 build-169697"

Whereas if I go and see the build number in the VIC it would show me the build number as "VMware ESX Server 3.5.0 build-163429"

Further if I checked the RPM's which are installed, some of they are at build version 163429 and some of them at 169697.

Here's the list for 169697:-

VMware-esx-vmkernel-3.5.0-169697

VMware-esx-vmkctl-3.5.0-169697

VMware-esx-drivers-net-bnx2x-350.1.45.20-169697

kernel-vmnix-350.2.4.21-57.EL.169697

VMware-esx-vmx-3.5.0-169697

VMware-esx-tools-3.5.0-169697

VMware-esx-drivers-net-unm_nic-350.4.0.275-169697

kernel-source-350.2.4.21-57.EL.169697

Here's the List for 163429:-

VMware-hostd-esx-3.5.0-163429

VMware-esx-drivers-scsi-aacraid_esx30-350.1.1.5.3vmw-163429

Now as you can see that other than the hostd rpm at being the version 163429, I don't see many other RPM at that version

So does the VIC shows the Build number of ESX based on the build number of Hostd RPM?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
24 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

This should be moved to ESX forum.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

To get the proper build you should issue at the service console

vmware -v

to check your patch level

esxupdate -l query

0 Kudos
nonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

that's what I am saying if I give Vmware -v

it gives me the version as "VMware ESX Server 3.5.0 build-169697"

and this is not same as I see it in the VIC for that specific host,all patches seem to have updated fine.

Other question which comes here is that is this normal that Vmware -v gives you one build number and VIC gives you another?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I have not seen this, atleast in my environment. I would suggest restarting the management agents on the host(s) in question

>service vmware-vpxa restart

0 Kudos
nonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have already tried that, even removed the host from the VC and readded it that also did not help.

I have opened an SR with vmware as well, but they also seem to be clue less, Can you tell me which build version is your environment and what version is the hostd rpm and the vmkernel RPM is at.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

># rpm -qa | grep hostd

>VMware-hostd-esx-3.5.0-143128

>root@phx03550 /]# vmware -v

>VMware ESX Server 3.5.0 build-143128

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

just curious, what version of vCenter are you running?

0 Kudos
nonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

we are running VC 2.5 U3.

0 Kudos
nonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you go to the patch download page you will find that latest RPM update which applies to hostd is at RPM 163249, where as the latest patch update which apply to the vmkernel is at build version 169697

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

your vCenter build is lower than your Host build, you should get to atleast U4, if not U5 for vCenter. I'm not saying this will resolve the issue, but it may.

nonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think you have a point which might explain the issue, we do have a plan to go to a U5 for VC.. but not sure when that's going to happen.

Thanks troy, I agree not sure if this will resolve it, but atleast that's the starting point I guess.

0 Kudos
nonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On the highsight just being curious here, is their any reason why.. VC should be upgraded first to the latest update versions and then the hosts which it manages.

0 Kudos
dickybird
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Virtual Center agent gets upgraded when you install newer version of VC.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

yes, your management agents should not be older than the hosts they are managing.

0 Kudos
nonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Troy and everyone,

Today I installed the Virtual center Update 5 and I still the same host build number shown in VIC as it was earlier.

Again... Vmware -V shows one build number and the VIC shows another.

May be it's correct, has any one installed the latest vmware patches and experiencing the same thing.

Thansk,

Nonu

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

This may explain some things. http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100117...

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I am hoping it will allow you to sleep nights Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
nonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As long as Vmware (Via my SR which was opened) or someone in community tells, this is how it works... and this is correct.

I am good with it, as I can't find any RPM/Update which did not install everything seem to be correct.. but it's just that.. I want someone to confirm.. that "This is correct" VIC works based on the version of hostd RPM rather than Vmkernel RPM.

Anyways.. let see what our vmware technical rep says.. or if someone is interested in testing things out and run all the recent patches in his environment then that will help.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The link is a knowledgebase article not someones opinion. It clearly states that the situation you observed is what you should observe.

VMware ESX Server hosts are patched according to a model where each patch bundle only updates a few components of the ESX Server installation at a time. Not all components of the installation are upgraded during each patch installation. When a patch is applied, the build number of the updated components will change. As a result, the ESX Server installation can have different components at different build numbers, depending upon which patch bundles have been applied.

You can view the build number for different components of upgraded versions of ESX Server 3.0.x. and 3.5.x. This article provides instructions on how to determine the build number of the following: