AlX325
Contributor
Contributor

Better way to store data on local RAID

Jump to solution

Hi all

Simple question for you, i'm new to vmware and i whant to be sure what is the best way to set up my server.

I have a proliant dl380 G5 with 5 HD SAS300G. Idon't have other external hardware attach to this server.

What is the best way to configure vmware ESXi 3.5 and my raid for 800G of file storage and 300G for different OS image.

I have read about RAW LUN but i can't select it in my ESXi (because i don't have san or because its esxi?)

Thx for help.

AlX

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert

With 5x 300GB disks I'd say you're going to struggle to fit your VMs on here. If you use RAID-5 which will allow the failure of 1 disks, you will get 1200MB of storage (a bit less once formatted) You are asking for 1100MB, but then you will need to allow for vswp logs and VMware overhead such as snapshots. I would add another 300GB disk in that RAID-5 array if possible.

If the VMs are disk intensive you should consider the IOPS requirement. If these are 15k drives, the array should give you around 600IOPS - is this enough?

Just format the local array with VMFS and use VMDKs for all machines

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
devzero
Expert
Expert

because it`s some weird limitation.

see http://communities.vmware.com//message/1140500

or http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vi3_esx35u4_rel_notes.html#knownissues ->Storage

Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) Disk Arrays Cannot Be Added as Raw Device Mapping Disks Using the VI Client

When using the VI Client to create virtual machines on raw device mapping disks or add a hard disk to a virtual machine, the Raw Device Mapping option is disabled in the New Virtual Machine Wizard, and in the Add Hardware Wizard.

Workaround: To add SAS disk arrays as raw device mapping disks:

1. Run a command with the following syntax in the ESX Server service console:

1. vmkfstools -r <raw_device_path> -a <bus_type> <RDM_file_name>

2. Use the Add Hardware Wizard to add the newly created virtual disk as an existing disk, to the virtual machine.

JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert

With 5x 300GB disks I'd say you're going to struggle to fit your VMs on here. If you use RAID-5 which will allow the failure of 1 disks, you will get 1200MB of storage (a bit less once formatted) You are asking for 1100MB, but then you will need to allow for vswp logs and VMware overhead such as snapshots. I would add another 300GB disk in that RAID-5 array if possible.

If the VMs are disk intensive you should consider the IOPS requirement. If these are 15k drives, the array should give you around 600IOPS - is this enough?

Just format the local array with VMFS and use VMDKs for all machines

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
AlX325
Contributor
Contributor

thx for your help

After lot of search on the board i decide to create a additional raid1 for ESX and 2 partition. The fist one with 1mb block and the other one with 2MB block.

Thx

AlX

0 Kudos