VMware Cloud Community
pdx99
Contributor
Contributor

Basic OS install problem

Sorry about the basic nature of this question but I'm having some issues with a new install of VMWare ESXi and could use some help.

The problems are:

1) After setting up a new VM, installing VI Client on a workstation, connecting to the host from the VI Client and attempting to install an OS (W2k3 Server Std) I can't get the vm to do anything but attempt a PXE boot. I have tried an original product CD, an ISO file on CD and neither is seen. I have tried various combinations of the the CD device settings for the VM. I have also tried F2 during boot of the VM and I don't get into setup

2) On the host system, I'm under the impression that selecting ALT + F1 at the main screen should bring up a terminal window. When I press ALT + F1 from the main screen, I am placed on what looks like the startup screen with the blinking cursor under a line reading "Starting openwsmand". The only way out of this screen I have found is a hard restart of the host system. Esc, F2, F12 and CtrlAltDelete don't do anything.

Since my intention is to leverage ESXi in order to test some unrelated software in a vm environment, and wasn't to get hung up on getting the vms setup, I'd appreciate any pointers on how to install an OS onto a VM from CD and how to get to a terminal on the host system.

Thanks

0 Kudos
14 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

1) After setting up a new VM, installing VI Client on a workstation, connecting to the host from the VI Client and attempting to install an OS (W2k3 Server Std) I can't get the vm to do anything but attempt a PXE boot. I have tried an original product CD, an ISO file on CD and neither is seen. I have tried various combinations of the the CD device settings for the VM. I have also tried F2 during boot of the VM and I don't get into setup.

Welcome to the Forums - Is the check box 'Connect at Power On' checked? This is a common thing to overlook -

2) On the host system, I'm under the impression that selecting ALT + F1 at the main screen should bring up a terminal window. When I press ALT + F1 from the main screen, I am placed on what looks like the startup screen with the blinking cursor under a line reading "Starting openwsmand". The only way out of this screen I have found is a hard restart of the host system. Esc, F2, F12 and CtrlAltDelete don't do anything.

That is true of ESX - you will get to terminal window for the Service Console but since ESXi does not have a service console this will not work - What are you trying to do?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
wila
Immortal
Immortal

In addition if the CDrom in the host doesn't work for you, then try either by using an iso file (create an iso from the original CD by using a 3rd party tool) OR you can also connect to the CDrom on the machine where you run the Virtual Infrastructure Client (Click the big connect CDrom button in the toolbar)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
pdx99
Contributor
Contributor

I'm fairly sure I had the "connect at power on" selected at some point in my attempts. I'll confirm that when I get back to using ESXi. In order to proceed with my primary project I temporarily put aside ESXi and installed W2k3 Server and MS Virtual Server 2005 on the box.

I didn't have any particular need for terminal acess but thought it might be useful. Thanks for the info that its not available in ESXi

0 Kudos
pdx99
Contributor
Contributor

I did try an iso file but that wasn't seen either.

I read about the using the local CD and I'll try that when I get back to using ESXi

0 Kudos
Doc_Rice
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If I'm interpreting your situation, you're trying to create a new VM and when you power it on, the POST goes by so fast and you're there with the thing trying to do PXE. It's at this point that I map to a CD drive or an ISO file (for the Server 2003 installer CD, for example) and then do the virtual CtrlAltDel. Otherwise, you'd have to power on the VM, click on the VM console, and hit F2 repeatedly in hopes to catch the BIOS setup opportunity.

Much easier to just let it do the PXE attempt, then "Connect CD/DVD," and "Send CtrlAltDel."

0 Kudos
hpco
Contributor
Contributor

>>ESXi does not have a service console<<

I thought this was how to enable SSH: http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/ESXi_enable_SSH.php

Is there another method to enable it?

Am I chasing after the wrong solution for enabling a way to copy VMs to this ESXi server (via SSH)?

0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

If you create the vm and goto edit settings -> Options tab -> Advanced\Boot Options put a tick in the box for forcing the VM into BIOS setup at next power on

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I find it useful to change the boot delay. Edit settings/Options/Boot Delay/ Setting it to 3000 MS gives you the opportunity to hit ESC at the boot screen. ESC will give you the oportunity to choose the boot device and not have the change permanant . If you change the boot order in the BIOS you risk leaving an ISO in the drive (adding deice drivers etc) and having a VM not boot. The delay is useful if you need to boot from a CD for recovery purposes or to F2 for the BIOS.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

hpco

Have you tried the Windows Client. SSH isn't the way to copy a VM to ESXi

0 Kudos
hpco
Contributor
Contributor

thanks, yes, I kept looking after posting my question and had a Homer Simpson "doh" moment after finding out that the Windows client lets you do this. Not exactly in an obvious place. :smileycool:

0 Kudos
pdx99
Contributor
Contributor

Setting the boot delay did allow me to access the boot menu and although I set the CD drive to the first boot device and had it "connect at power on" and had it set to use the host device all I get is the PXE boot. I am able to use the CD drive on the client device, but since my client device is across a network from the ESXi host system (and my laptop/client device has a relatively slow CD drive) this isn't the most efficient means of installing an OS. I also tried setting the CD drive to "Emulate IDE" and "Passthrough IDE" which are the only possible choices in that area.

The CD drive on the host does work since that is how I installed ESXi.

Seeing as there aren't that many possible CD configuration possibilities (and I think I've tried all variations anyways) it seems that I don't have the ability to install an OS in a ESXi vm any way except using the drive on my client device. It shouldn't be this difficult.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Create an ISO of the disk and copy it to the ESXi host. Then make sure you have all the settings "power on" etc set correctly. The ISO's on the host will come in handy. Future installs, rescue, other drivers, etc. Installs are amazingly quick from ISO.

0 Kudos
pdx99
Contributor
Contributor

Installing from an iso worked fine (after figuring out how to upload the iso to the datastore) but I'd still like the ability to use the CD on the host but I guess it's just not going to happen.

Had some trouble deleting a folder that I no longer needed from the datastore and I googled for the answer and google provided an answer that you had previously posted in the Vmware community so thanks for that answer too.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

pdx99

Great that it worked. The best part about ISO's is that you always have a backup disk. If you put them on an NFS share you can have them on all your hosts.Don't forget to remove them from the VM after you are done.

0 Kudos