VMware Cloud Community
petjez
Contributor
Contributor

Basic ESX 3i questions

Hello,

i'm looking for a low cost virtualisation option. Now we use VMware server 1.0.x. But it needs an Windows Enterprise license to use memory above 4GB. We don't have enough Linux knowledge to use that on the host.

I like to try ESX 3i on a USB key in a HP DL360 G5 server with onboard storage. The questions are:

- How can i manage ESX 3i. There is no Web Interface, just CLI?

- Is there a free tool to manage a single ESX 3i server?

- What about backing up the VM's. On my Windows Vmware Server i just copy the VM files and that's it. How about copying files with ESX 3i?

- According to this site there is a product wich ships on USB. I tried to contact HP (Netherlands) about it, but they don't know. Does anyone know the partnumber?

Thanks for now,

Patrick

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello petjez,

Configure your ip-settings after you boot up the ESX3i host.

after this

You can use the VI-client or VirtualCenter 2.5 to manage the ESX3i host.

If you want to back-up vm's don't use copy but use cloning.

You can do this through the gui (VI client) or with Remote CLI (vmkfstools -i sourcedisk destinationdisk)

0 Kudos
petjez
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks dmaster,

remember it mus be low cost. Do i need an additional license to use the VI-client? This client is not available for download?

So if i understand correctly i can use the VI-client to clone a VM. Can it also clone to an attached USB disk?

Kind regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

no additional licenses are necessary for the VI-Client.

This is a good link for all your questions about ESX3i. (You can download the VI-client from the internal website of the ESX3i server "see Appendix_B_ESX3i.pdf".)

I never tested it to backup files to a USB disk form ESX 3i.

petjez
Contributor
Contributor

Thankx for the clear answers.

Kind regards,

Patrick

0 Kudos