VMware Cloud Community
VWBug5000
Contributor
Contributor

Another Newbie question

Hello everyone! Being fairly new to Vmware, I figure joining the user group was a good place to start learning about it.

Here's my question, I am using the VI Client with a free installation of ESXi. I want to create a couple non-administrator user accounts so some developers can console in to the VM's I have created. Is there a way to have the user accounts AD integrated? Since I am fairly certain the answer is No, what is the least amount of permissions required so the users can change their own passwords?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Benjamin_Craig
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I take it that because the boxes are slated for development and may not be on the production network where your developers can get to them, you don't want to give them RDP access?

-Ben

0 Kudos
VWBug5000
Contributor
Contributor

The developers will need access to cd/dvd drives from the VM's and giving them console access seems like the best route to do that.

0 Kudos
Benjamin_Craig
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fair enough, In our organization we empower the developers with VMware Workstation and don't allow them any administrative access to Virtual Center or the ESX hosts. I know there are a lot of people who successfully do entitle non-privileged admins with minimal permissions (using Active Directory groups), but I've not personally had the need to do it myself. There's pretty decent documentation available in the VI client on this; specifically the "Working with Users, Groups, Roles, and Permissions" section of the VMware Infrastructure Client Help (Help > Help Topics). If you have any more questions after reading that, feel free to reply or join us at the VMUG this Thursday and see if there are any peers who have had success with this.

Thanks,

Benjamin

TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I have moved your post to the ESXi forum for a greater audience

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos