VMware Cloud Community
Nick1637
Contributor
Contributor

Adding capacity to MD3000i and then ESX

I have two host machines with 3 VMs on each host. For storage I use an PowerVault MD3000i configured with two disk groups. Group 1, "VMs" is where the VM operating systems are installed. Group 2, "VMstorage" is the storage for all 6 VMs. To increase capacity I installed two more physical disks into empty slots in the MD3000i and added them to Disk Group 2 (VMstorage).

In the VIC I show two datastores: "VMs" which is disk group 1 on the MD3000i and "Data" which is disk group 2 on the MD3000i. How do I add the newly allocated space that is now in Disk Group 2 in the MD3000i to the second virtual data store ("Data") within the VIC?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Amnexi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think you'll need to migrate to vsphere first:new version allows VMFS hot extensions.

In VI3, you need to create a new LUN instead of increasing the size of the existing one. 2 options:

- Big LUN (with total needed space),cold migrate or storage vmotion all VMs & free up previous LUN.Recommended.

- New LUN with desired new space,and configure it as an extension of previous LUN (same VMFS across 2 LUNs).Not recommended.

0 Kudos