VMware Cloud Community
Ubuntu111
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding a new drive to RAID5 array on HP DL580 G3 w/ ESXi 3.5

My DL580 G3 currently has 130GB of usable space with a RAID 5 configuration. 3 X 72GB drives. I am planning to add a fourth Ultra 320 SCSI 10K 72GB drive for additional local storage.

The DL580 has a Smart Array 6i Controller. When I boot the DL580 I do not see any RAID configuration options such as an Array Config Utility. This box came to me with the RAID5 array already configured.

Would I be able to add a new drive using a Smart Start CD that has ACU to expand the current RAID 5 array? If so which version of SmartStart? I did not see one for ESXi or ESX for that matter on HPs website. Is there another method that I need to use to expand the RAID5 array?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

So you don't see the adapter configuration utility during POST/BIOS screens? Hitting F8 does not work either?

You should have received a Smart Start CD to boot with and usually, the Raid configuration is possible with that Smart Start.

If nothing else goes, you could build a UBCD4Win and integrate the HP Array tools. I did this for a Smart Array e200i, but only the cmdline-versions works ok. The GUI version has some limitations on displaying popups.

You have to save / move your guests as there is no online migration of the vmfs!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

So you don't see the adapter configuration utility during POST/BIOS screens? Hitting F8 does not work either?

You should have received a Smart Start CD to boot with and usually, the Raid configuration is possible with that Smart Start.

If nothing else goes, you could build a UBCD4Win and integrate the HP Array tools. I did this for a Smart Array e200i, but only the cmdline-versions works ok. The GUI version has some limitations on displaying popups.

You have to save / move your guests as there is no online migration of the vmfs!

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You could try the offline ACU (A 80MB ISO which you could burn to CD or boot from ILO if you have ILO)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15...

Or you could install the hpacucli package for redhat ES3 and run it from SC

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15...

Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Sorry just noticed the ESXi dohh well option one is still worth a shot.

0 Kudos
Ubuntu111
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I do not see a adapter configuration utility when booting up. F8 enters goes into iLO config.

I guess I will have to use a SmartStart CD. I was unable to find the one that came with the server. I will download a copy from HP. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Ubuntu111
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will try the offline ACU. Thanks.

0 Kudos