VMware Cloud Community
Cralis
Contributor
Contributor

Add USB External HDD to ESXi server?

Is it possible to add an external USB drive to an ESXi server, and have it visible to at least one VM?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

No it is not possible - you would have to use an IP based USB hib to present it to a VM like USBAnywhere by Digi

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry USB Passthrough doesn't work. usb-anywhere is indeed a workaround

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Now available: Paper - vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide (via amazon.com) | PDF (via lulu.com)

Blogging: | Twitter:

0 Kudos
DigitalEssence
Contributor
Contributor

We are also interested in USB as we have hardware dongles for some of our applications and I thought ESXi's lack of USB connectivity was a show stopper.

But upon speaking to the manufactuer of the application today, they suggested AnyWhere USB or the Belkin Network USB Hub. (http://www.belkin.com/uk/networkusbhub/ )

I see several recommendations for AnyWhere, has anyone used the Belkin device?

thanks.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I use the Belkin device at home and it works fine except for the lack of Windows 2003 drivers. But with XP/Vista VMs it has been fine.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
DigitalEssence
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Dave,

I have spoken to Digi, the makers of the AnywhereUSB (www.digi.com) and they confirm driver support for 2000, 2003 & 2008 as well as XP and others.

Definately looks like the right solution for us here.

The AnywhereUSB/5 allows up to 5 USB devices to be attached and as far as I can understand, you could attach 5 USB drives to them and have all of them available to one or more VM's. I expect I/O would take a hit though...

For us, all we need is the abiltiy to use a USB dongle for our pre-flighting software.

For anyone interested and others browsing this thread in the future.... I have attached the AnywhereUSB manual which goes into a fair amount of detail with regards to VMWare.

0 Kudos
recken
Contributor
Contributor

Certainly the USB pass-through should have been sorted by now ... it was reported in 3.5 u1

I Like Pi

********* I Like Pi *********
0 Kudos