VMware Cloud Community
matthewk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Adaptec CIM and server health

ESXi looks interesting, but I'm very concerned with monitoring my RAID array. Since there's no Service Console, I can't install Adaptec Storage Manager (ASM). Does the current revision of ESXi support monitoring Adaptec 5 series SAS cards? If not, what comparable card would have support?

Just to clarify, I'm not asking about driver support - the 5 series is on the HCL - I'm concerned with monitoring in case a drive needs replacement.

112 Replies
jmack03
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the work on this.

I agree that Adaptec's response is insane right along w/ VMWare's lack of forsight to provide monitoring of Adaptec controllers that are on their HCL.

Maybe instead of getting the entire ASM package running on the host, you could try to just get the monitoring service installed, if we could actually manage the array from another computer on the network, that would be light years above what we currently have to live with.

Again thanks for the work, I would offer help but my install has gone to the client so I don't have direct access to the hardware anymore.

Joe...

0 Kudos
IT_Architect
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The only way is to reboot periodically and go into the controller BIOS. I have several servers also, but fortunately they all have permanent kvms. My only clue that I MAY get of an array problem when they are hot is the poor performance that comes from trying to sync a bad drive in the array.

0 Kudos
davemackey
Contributor
Contributor

How are people handling RAID management in the meantime? Taking it down to the BIOS level? That requires a restart every time you need to make a change...Can't believe there isn't at least a commercial add-on for RAID management functionality somewhere?

Dave.

0 Kudos
Bolgard
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, BIOS level. It's unbelievable for me aswell, and I've looked everywhere! If you find a better way, please tell us in this thread!

About failure: I hope I hear the sound alarm coming from the physical RAID card in time whenever a disk fails... that's the only thing showing me that something is wrong.

0 Kudos
Bolgard
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone got a update for this? Any information from either VMware or Adaptec?

0 Kudos
Bolgard
Contributor
Contributor

I asked support at Adaptec, and got this answer:

"Unfortunately there are no news about this topic.

The last info, which I received only yesterday, is talking about some plans to introduce support for ESXi for around the second half of 2009, but this might slip even further..

Sorry for not being able to provide any better news on this."

0 Kudos
davemackey
Contributor
Contributor

I did find with LSI that they have a CIM provider which you can hook into with a remote MegaRAID monitoring software. It provides essential control functionalities - unfortunately at this time it does not support proactive error reporting or autologging of events. I'm hoping LSI will release an upgrade in the near future.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Bolgard
Contributor
Contributor

I would be happy if Adaptec could release a CIM provider giving me that much information...

0 Kudos
DionRow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was able to extract the arcconf utility to try and monitor my 3805 raid card but it says no cards detected.

./arcconf getconfig 1 al

Controllers found: 0

Invalid controller number.

Ideas anyone? If I can get it to find the device then we can monitor it. makedev doesnt seem to exists ...

dion

-- dion VMware Systems Admin vExpert VMUG Leader Saskatoon
0 Kudos
DionRow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

btw, I got this response from Adaptec support today:

" I am sorry to say that support for CIM and Storage Manager with vmware

ESX-i is currently not available, and it doesnt look likely that it

will be coming that soon, there is no beta project available I am

afraid."

Looks like Adaptec was lying to us before.

0 Kudos
DionRow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

: Also, What is the makedev command you used to create the device for your controller?

0 Kudos
Bolgard
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone seeing anything that can help us with this in ESXi 4?

I'm am VERY tempted to just sell of the whole server, and never use anything even remotely related to Adaptec or VMware again Smiley Wink

All I'm asking for is some simple monitoring for the Adaptec 3405 controller! It's Adaptecs fault because they won't develop any, and it's VMware's fault in tricking me to buy one of these cards by putting it on their I/O compatiblity list!

0 Kudos
matthewk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bolgard, I agree with your sentiment. With the upcoming release of Windows Server 2008 R2/Hyper-V R2 and the recent release of Hyper-V/Linux driver code under the GPL, VMware is going to have to step up their act. We were forced over to Hyper-V because of these Adaptec cards and while it doesn't yet have the features of VMware (most of which we don't use anyway), it is extremely stable and the driver support is a lot better.

It seems like with VMware, its either go big (cost) or go home. I can't afford Dell/HP/IBM servers, SANs, and all that other fun stuff.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi 4 has some SMNP get capability but I don't know how far that would get you as far as drive health is concerned. 3.5 only supports traps.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
denisesballs
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot believe there is no RAID monitoring available for ESXi 4.0 and Adaptec controllers. I have spent nearly a week on this!

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Adaptec doesn't seem interested. I would protest there.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
PhoenixUA
Contributor
Contributor

"Response (Luis Maldonado) - 02/19/2010 09:55 AM

Greetings from Adaptec,

As far as a management agent for ESXi, we currently do not have one.

We have been working with VMWare on providing a CIM module to allow the

Adaptec Software to function on ESXi. However we are still waiting for

specific components from VMWare to make this possible and at the current

time are still in talks with VMware to see when the required components

will be made available. Unfortunately, we do not control this time

table and cannot give you a date as to when or if these components will

be made available so we can complete our work and release the software.

We expect to have a solid answer by the second quarter of this year, but

at this point this is speculation on our part.

Thank you for contacting Adaptec Technical Support"

0 Kudos
FragKing
Contributor
Contributor

That's ridiculous.

They have been waiting for more than a year now? Are you kidding me?!

I think they are just too lazy to do something.

Seems like we're stuck at full blown ESX4 for now Smiley Sad

Cheers

Michel

http://www.quadrotech-it.com
0 Kudos
JoFu
Contributor
Contributor

Don't know what to say either.... I spend hours on this now... it looks like the only way is to get something like HP ProLiant + OpenView or IBM, DELL.

VMWare forgott to mention that ESXi is not meant for SMBs with small budget..... I should have known better when they announced a "free" ESX.

I'm seriously considering to give Hyper-V a shot even though I tested ESXi for over a year now. Is there a raid controller with windows command line utility that reports back health status?

0 Kudos
FragKing
Contributor
Contributor

english version below.

http://www.quadrotech-it.com
0 Kudos