VMware Cloud Community
matthewk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Adaptec CIM and server health

ESXi looks interesting, but I'm very concerned with monitoring my RAID array. Since there's no Service Console, I can't install Adaptec Storage Manager (ASM). Does the current revision of ESXi support monitoring Adaptec 5 series SAS cards? If not, what comparable card would have support?

Just to clarify, I'm not asking about driver support - the 5 series is on the HCL - I'm concerned with monitoring in case a drive needs replacement.

112 Replies
VladimirLizal
Contributor
Contributor

According to Adaptec KB article 17176, password cannot contain letters K, E or Y due to bug in encryption. They claim it will be fixed in next version. However, I found another problem - the arcaend daemon after some time stops working, we had configured e-mails at the customer and customer called us that server beeps (failed disk), no email received, sudo service arcaend status on vMA - service arcaend not running. Attempting to start manually, immediately received mail with warning - array critical, but on the vMA console service arcaend failed to start.

0 Kudos
tssk
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to install aacraid-esxi5.0-1.1.7.28700 on ESXi 5.0.0 U1 to get arcconf working for 2405 but I get following error:

# esxcli software vib install -v /tmp/aacraid_vmware_drivers_1.1.7-28700/aacraid-esxi5.0-1.1.7.28700.zip
[VibFormatError]
Bad VIB archive header
   filename = /tmp/aacraid_vmware_drivers_1.1.7-28700/aacraid-esxi5.0-1.1.7.28700.zip
Please refer to the log file for more details.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos
VladimirLizal
Contributor
Contributor

Do not install .zip, install .vib!

0 Kudos
tssk
Contributor
Contributor

OMG, i think I must be overwrought Smiley Happy

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DerekFlint
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

A follow up on the results of my efforts to try and get this working on an ASR-4800SAS... my net is that it doesn't appear to be supported/found by the ESXi 5 CIM.

I installed the aacraid driver in ESXi5 Update1 (VMware_bootbank_scsi-aacraid_1.1.5.1-9vmw.500.1.11.623860.vib) which appears to be the same driver as the one in Adaptec's 1.1.7-28700 bundle, rebooted and it worked fine, no lost/missing datastores. Then I installed the ESXi 5 CIM from v7_30_18837, and remote-arcconf-7.30-18837 on both a linux and WinXP guest, enabled the CIM ports in ESXi's firewall. Running arcconf will successfully complete a SETVMCREDENTIALS command, but everything else just returns a "Controllers found: 0".

Any other ideas of what it could be, or should I just give up?

Thanks!

Message was edited by: DerekFlint I was wrong, Adaptec's 1.1.7-28700 driver is different from the one in update1, and it works... sort of. This time the adapter and datastore's did disappear after installing the driver and doing a reboot, but I got them back intact using the "add storage..." method described earlier. So now I can get to the 4800SAS, and doing an "arcconf getconfig 1 al" produces valid output under the Controller Information section, but nothing is found in the Logical or Physical devices section.... C:\Program Files\Adaptec\RemoteArcconf>arcconf getconfig 1 al Controllers found: 1 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Controller information ----------------------------------------------------------------------    Controller Status                        : Optimal    Channel description                    : SAS/SATA    Controller Model                         : Adaptec 4800SAS    Controller Serial Number             : 6A110CA426C    Physical Slot                             : 1    Temperature                              : 41 C/ 105 F (Normal)    Installed memory                       : 128 MB    Copyback                                 : Disabled    Background consistency check  : Disabled    Automatic Failover                     : Enabled    Stayawake period                      : Disabled    Spinup limit internal drives          : 0    Spinup limit external drives         : 0    Defunct disk drive count             : 0    Logical devices/Failed/Degraded : 0/0/0    --------------------------------------------------------    Controller Version Information    --------------------------------------------------------    BIOS                                     : 5.2-0 (15617)    Firmware                               : 5.2-0 (15617)    Driver                                    : 1.1-7 (28700)    Boot Flash                            : 5.2-0 (15617)    --------------------------------------------------------    Controller Battery Information    --------------------------------------------------------    Status                                   : Not Installed ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Logical device information ----------------------------------------------------------------------    No logical devices configured ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Physical Device information ----------------------------------------------------------------------       No physical drives attached Command completed successfully.

0 Kudos
FstMrl
Contributor
Contributor

Hello to Everybody,

I have installed cim 18856 and driver 732857 on Esxi 5.0 u1 under my Sun X4250 with sun storagetek internal and external pcie raid (in fact are adaptec 5085 and 5805).
Everything seems to work well, but when using arcconf from a remote windows workstation, it doesn't return any informations about Logical or Physical volumes.
Please, look attached file.
Anybody had same small trouble ?
Maybe due to old firmware installed on controllers ? or because it is not Adaptec but Sun/Intel oem ?
0 Kudos
DerekFlint
Contributor
Contributor

FstMrl,

Yes, I am having the exact same problem on an Adaptec ASR 4800SAS, I posted about it here back in April but no replies until yours. Here's the output from arcconf getconfig....

Message was edited by: DerekFlint 7/25/12: Updated esxi 5.0 host with adaptec's CIM and remote arcconf at v7_31_18856, makes no difference arcconf is still not finding volumes/drives.

0 Kudos
alex_str
Contributor
Contributor

I also have the same problem on a Lenovo RD120 server. Raid Controller is an IBM ServeRAID 8k (Adaptec OEM). Arcconf don´t find any HDD. Heres my output.

0 Kudos
NuclearFisher1
Contributor
Contributor

Just the same problem with Adaptec 3405 on Supermicro X7DWU and X7DBU under ESXi 5.0u1. See att.

PS: Actually, the vendor doing the best with VMware is LSI. No CIM no f**cking ASM Agents/Clients or other monstrouse software. Just a Storage node on the Hardware Status tab, which can be checked out by any standard VMware tool (e.g. VMware CLI or PowerCLI). See att.

0 Kudos
NeverEnoughToys
Contributor
Contributor

VladimirLizal wrote:

The datastore virtually disappears after driver update. However, fix is easy: Add storage, disk/LUN, VMFS already exist – keep existing signature, assign new signature, format disk? Answer Keep existing signature and you have your datastore back, intact.

This just saved my bacon under vSphere ESXi 5.  I could see the original directories in the vmfs tree, but they were all showing empty and the vSphere client showed all the VM's on that datastore as unknown.  Opened the configuration tab, ran through your list and exhaled a huge sigh.  I thought I was going to be restoring my VM's (again).  Thanks!

0 Kudos
_OpenSys_
Contributor
Contributor

Hello !

Well folks my first post, and with a solution!

I just report the solution to who what to run arcconf inside esxi and get the status of the Adaptec controller.

I use vmware 5.1 VMkernel vmware03.XXX.com 5.1.0 #1 SMP Release build-1065491 Mar 23 2013 10:12:46 x86_64 GNU/Linux

you need to pass the arcconf, libstdc++.so.5.0.7 (x64) to inside vmware box.

put the lib inside /lib64

make a ln -fs /lib64/libstdc++.so.5.0.7 to /lib64/libstdc++.so.5

Now arcconf will work Smiley Happy

./arcconf --help

| UCLI |  Adaptec by PMC uniform command line interface

| UCLI |  Version 7.31 (B18856)

| UCLI |  (C) Adaptec by PMC 2003-2011

| UCLI |  All Rights Reserved

now the good, part the arcconf search in /dev for /dev/aacX that will fail because don't exits, but the /dev/aac exists Smiley Happy so

ln -fs /dev/aac /dev/aac0

and put that line in: /etc/rc.local.d/local.sh

And now all will work :smileysilly:

~ # ./arcconf getconfig 1 al

Controllers found: 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Controller information

Controller Status                        : Optimal

Channel description                      : SAS/SATA

Controller Model                         : Adaptec 2405

Controller Serial Number                 : 9D511144DF9

Physical Slot                            : 6

Temperature                              : 44 C/ 111 F (Normal)

Installed memory                         : 128 MB

Copyback                                 : Disabled

Background consistency check             : Disabled

Automatic Failover                       : Enabled

Global task priority                     : High

Performance Mode                         : Default/Dynamic

Stayawake period                         : Disabled

Spinup limit internal drives             : 0

Spinup limit external drives             : 0

Defunct disk drive count                 : 0

Logical devices/Failed/Degraded          : 1/0/0

Statistics data collection mode          : Enabled

--------------------------------------------------------

Controller Version Information

--------------------------------------------------------

BIOS                                     : 5.2-0 (17380)

Firmware                                 : 5.2-0 (17380)

Driver                                   : 1.1-5 (2459)

Boot Flash                               : 5.2-0 (17380)

Logical device information

Logical device number 0

Logical device name                      : RAID1

RAID level                               : 1

Status of logical device                 : Optimal

Size                                     : 953334 MB

Read-cache mode                          : Enabled

Write-cache mode                         : Enabled (write-back)

Write-cache setting                      : Enabled (write-back)

Partitioned                              : Yes

Protected by Hot-Spare                   : No

Bootable                                 : Yes

Failed stripes                           : No

Power settings                           : Disabled

Now the script to make a warning, by mail, sms, console report it's required, make it work yourself Smiley Happy

Warning in a ESXI update the lib my gone, but the working was there.

This cmd: esxcfg-init -a "testing" write the text to event log as warning, if anyone know as to make it but as error say me Smiley Happy

Regards

VS aka OpenSys

Ame81
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

it was already mentioned here earlier but with no reaction. Have anybody experience with this type of error:

arcconf getversion

CIM Exception: *** Provider arc_cli::arcCLIProvider(22286) exiting due to a SIGSEGV signal.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
ytlevine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This worked perfectly for me - thanks for your help!

I had to change the permissions on arcconf to 744, but after that, it worked.

2 questions:

Where should I be putting the arcconf file? Now I have it in the main folder (/) - is it better to put it somewhere else?

And do you have a working script that will send an email from ESXi if the status changes?

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos