VMware Cloud Community
JoseGrioni
Contributor
Contributor

Adaptec 29160 SCSI Controller

Gents,

I have a T300 Dell PowerEdge server fitted with an ADAPTEC 29160 SCSI controller, which will be talking to a generic SCSI device (a proprietary device)

I boot ESXi 3.5.0 build-123629 from a USB stick without a problem.

Upon logging in with VIC 2.5.0 build-119801, and defining the server, I can see the ADAPTEC card in the STORAGE ADAPTERS list, together with the SATA IDE controllers as follows:

29160 Ultra 160 SCSI Controller

vmhba2 SCSI

2 Port SATA IDE Controller (ICH9)

vmhba34 SCSI

vmhba1 SCSI

I'm trying to create only one VM at the present moment, and defining it with the VIC "Edit Virtual Machine Settings" wizard. The Hard disk and the CDROM devices are part of SCSI controller 0 (devices 0 and 1 respectively), which I can create without a problem. But it does not allow to create additional SCSI controllers except when I create a new SCSI device. This then creates the SCSI controller. But in creating the SCSI device, the only option I'm offered, is to make it a CDROM, and not a generic SCSI device. Upon booting up, ESX fails and issues a "Failed to open SCSI device..... Generic Error" message for this device.

I've loaded Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition. In Windows, I can see the Device Manager lists an LSI Logic PCI-X Ultra 320 adapter, rather than the ADAPTEC adapter.

I'm wondering if somebody in the forum can help with two things:

1) Loading/defining the correct ADAPTEC SCSI controller in the VM, rather than the LSI Logic SCSI driver

2) Defining the generic SCSI device by modifying the .VMX file appropriately. (It may be that I am not identifying the proper SCSI bus, target and LUN numbers, but I don't know how to determine such. Any help in this respect is also greatly appreciated).

0 Kudos
0 Replies