VMware Cloud Community
SteveF1
Contributor
Contributor

Adaptec 2120S RAID Controller / ESXi 3.5

I have ESXi 3.5U3 running on a server with an Adaptec 2120S SCSI controller which is on the HCL. It is running great but I don't see anything in the Health Status monitoring section of the VI Client to tell me if the storage is OK.

Does anyone know if I should see something here? How will I know if a disk in the array fails?

Thanks

Steve

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

This will only be available if the Adaptec card support querying by the CIM utilities in ESXi.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi currently doesn't come with a CIM provider for adaptec cards so the health can't be queried. Should that be added, I would expect it would only work with newer controllers. The initial LSI CIM providers only supported certain MR/ IR controllers and not the older ones.

0 Kudos
SteveF1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for confirming that for me.

So am I right in thinking there is no way to know that the RAID has failed for an Adaptec card in ESXi? Is the same true for the full ESX server?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You can install the Storage Manager Agent into the Linux service console of ESX, but I'm not sure which adapters are supported by the agent. You should be able to find something on Adaptec's site.

0 Kudos