VMware Cloud Community
shonk
Contributor
Contributor

Access a NAS using NFS as file store for web files

Hi all,

I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to get a VM running as a web server.

I have migrated the physical machine to a virtual machine, using 3.5 due to hardware constraints.

The OS is Windows Server 2003 and I have ironed out some issues with network connectivity.

The problem I'm having is that I can't serve any webpages that are being accessed using an NFS connection to a NAS.

IIS is working as I can server pages locally.

The NFS connection appears to be working correctly as I can access all of the files on the share.

I'm hoping that there is something obvious that I'm missing, but haven't found it yet.

I guess it may be a permissions thing on the NAS, but seeing as the vm can access the files, I'm not so sure.

Any help or ideas very much appreciated.

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

if the VM can access the file (i assume you mount the nfs share directly to the web server) i would then check from the IIS Settings and configurations and see what went wrong. more of an OS related issue .. .

shonk
Contributor
Contributor

The VM can access the files, mounting the NFS as a drive.

I've checked the IIS settings and nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Will just have to keep digging...

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

could it be that the permission on the files on the NFS do not have permission for the iis user to access?

0 Kudos
shonk
Contributor
Contributor

Just to close this out in case anyone else reads up on this and finds it helpful:

The issue was that I can't access a mapped drive in IIS, it needs to be accessed using the network drive option.

0 Kudos
shonk
Contributor
Contributor

Just to close this out in case anyone else reads up on this and finds it helpful:

The issue was that I can't access a mapped drive in IIS, it needs to be accessed using the network drive option.

@idle-jam, thanks for your time.

0 Kudos