VMware Cloud Community
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

About partitioning when Installing ESXi

Does the ESXi server have an option to create separate partion on install? I want to put the hypervisor on a 2 gig partition and then leave the rest for my VM's.

Also would like to know if this is a better way to set it up to increase performance on the VMs??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dinnu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, there is no option of partitioning available when installing ESXi Server.

Make sure you backup the data if any present in the system you are going to install ESXi server, as the installation of ESXi server wipes the storage you are installing in.

Moreover ESXi server supports not more than 2TB of storage space.

Hope, this solution helps you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dinnu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, there is no option of partitioning available when installing ESXi Server.

Make sure you backup the data if any present in the system you are going to install ESXi server, as the installation of ESXi server wipes the storage you are installing in.

Moreover ESXi server supports not more than 2TB of storage space.

Hope, this solution helps you.

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dinnu, Thanks. I just thought last time that I was installing the ESXi server it did have the option to choose the size of the partition you want. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Just an extra two cents....You should create two logical drives on your physical server for an ESXi (or even an ESX) server. Create a small logical drive (2GB is plenty) for the ESXi (about 16GB for ESX). The remaining space should be made into a separate logical drive(s) for VMFS. Create the VMFS partition inside the VI Client GUI, either via vCenter or connected to the host. This way it is properly aligned.

Dave Convery

VMware vExpert 2009

Careful. We don't want to learn from this.

Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

dconvery, Thanks for your input, I will try that.

0 Kudos