VMware Cloud Community
wingtip
Contributor
Contributor

64bit guest O/S will not install

I've just installed ESXi 3.5 U2 on an HP Proliant ML370 G4 Server and trying to create a new 64bit Windows 2003 Guest Vitual Machine. After creating the Virtual Machine and booting up on the Windows CD VMware says the following:

"Attempting to load an x64 operating system, however this CPU is not compatible with x64 mode. Please install a 32bit x86 operating system."

The ML370 is a x64bit processor so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You'll need to enable Intel VT in the BIOS. In some cases, you then have to cold restart the host. After you've made the change you should be good to install your x64 guest. You don't have to make changes to ESXi after you enable the BIOS setting.

0 Kudos
Mr_Flibble1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you check what type of Xeon you have installed? I can't remember if all the G4's were 64 bit capable.

0 Kudos
wingtip
Contributor
Contributor

I've looked in the bios, can't see anything resembling "Intel VT" to enable...

0 Kudos
wingtip
Contributor
Contributor

Well I was running W2K3 x64 on this server before I made it into an ESXi server so I'm thinking its 64bit... It has dual 3.4Ghz 1Mb L2 cache procs in it.

0 Kudos
wingtip
Contributor
Contributor

I've been doing a little more digging, I'm begining to think that this paticular proc does not support Intel VT...

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

A 64-bit processor does not always have VT built in, so just because you can run a 64-bit O/S on the processor does not mean that you can run 64-bit virtual machines.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Well I was running W2K3 x64 on this server before I made it into an ESXi server so I'm thinking its 64bit... It has dual 3.4Ghz 1Mb L2 cache procs in it.

That's right.

There are no Intel processors with those specs having VT feature, sorry:

http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=867327,862919,859148&familyID=5&culture=en-US

0 Kudos