VMware Cloud Community
MRVMAN1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

60 Day Evalauation

I've converted my Windows 2003 domain controller to a client for ESXi 3.5 and am now in the process of converting three other servers also, and add them as ESXi clients. Because I work for a non-profit there is not much money in the IT department, which is why I moved from VMServer 2.0 to ESXi. My question is what will happen when the evaluation ends in 60 days.

• 1) Will I still be able to run all the clients on the server?

• 2) Is there away to end the evaluation early?

• 3) If not how do I recover my server?

So many more questions please Help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

ESXi is actually free and you can request a free license key at: https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=esxi

You'll have most of the features from the hypervisor's perspective compared to the classic ESX minus the Service Console and you'll only have read-only access to the VI API if you're looking at using vCLI/RCLI to manage your host/VM(s). You will still have access to the VI Client in managing your VM(s)

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

ESXi is actually free and you can request a free license key at: https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=esxi

You'll have most of the features from the hypervisor's perspective compared to the classic ESX minus the Service Console and you'll only have read-only access to the VI API if you're looking at using vCLI/RCLI to manage your host/VM(s). You will still have access to the VI Client in managing your VM(s)

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
MRVMAN1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry but does this means I will be able to add new clients as well as new datastores to ESXi? Also is there a link you can send me that will help with this type of information? And thanks for all of your help.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

add new clients? I'm not sure what you mean?

You'll be able to add new datastores as before.

Here is some basic FAQ's on ESXi: http://vmware.com/products/esxi/uses.html

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

0 Kudos
MRVMAN1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I mean new Virtual Macines. Also when I try to add the licensing key I reecive an error saying "The uploaded license content was not valid" could you help with that also?

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Yes, you'll be able to create new VM(s).

Which version of ESXi are you using? I think you need at least ESXi 3.5u2+ as that's when the free version of ESXi was released and the keys may only work for that release and beyond. Once you get your license, you should be able to just open up the licensing under Configurations and just insert the license key.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

kesparlat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you apply the new license code you will be able to add new Virtual Machines (as you say clients) to your ESXi. If you need to back your Domain Controller to physical you 'll need a V2P software such as Symantec System Recovery or Acronis (be aware with your NTDS database).

Regards.