VMware Cloud Community
trb004
Contributor
Contributor

3i won't boot from ISO or CDROM to install guest image

I have 3i update 2 installed on a Dell R900. After installing and creating the guest I am unable to boot the CDROM or an ISO file from the SAN. I have checked the boxes and have recreaded the guest many times and have reinstalled ESX 3i 3.5.0 update 2 post Aug12th a few times, I have rest the system clock just in case.

I am still unable to install a guest.

Any Ideas?

Thank you,

Terry

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Terry, welcome to the VMware Community forums. Are you enabling the "connect at power on" option when you pick to use an ISO image? For host CD-ROMs, there are some issues with SATA based devices not being available for use in a VM.

0 Kudos
trb004
Contributor
Contributor

yes, both for the CDROM and the ISO file.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried it with a client side ISO or CD?

0 Kudos
robertortel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Dont forget to set up boot device order in bios to include/prefer your CD/DVD drive. To enter your vm bios you must set up your vm to enter bios on next boot in Edit Settings.../Options/Boot Options.

0 Kudos
trb004
Contributor
Contributor

I did check the bios and it was set correct. I'm going to install ESX 3.5 update 2 and see if I get the same results as 3i. I will post my resluts.

0 Kudos
KellyOlivier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I get this same thing. I have it correctly attached to the iso and the BIOS is set to go to cdrom first but it goes right to PXE. This was with a new Win 2k8 x64 VM.

0 Kudos