VMware Cloud Community
Andrew_Judge
Contributor
Contributor

3i and Monitoring a RAID set on local storage

Does anyone know if there is a way to monitor Local Storage RAID arrays for failures through SNMP or ANYTHING? We have a few remote ESX 3i servers where we can not determine / check the RAID health without physically being infront of the host. Any help much appreicated. Thx!

Best regards,

Andrew Judge

Grove Networks Inc.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Elwappo
Contributor
Contributor

Esx 3i can be configured, via the RCLI, to generate traps that you can send to a target for alerting. There is no native SNMP get support however as there are no mib's that can be loaded on the device for polling.

That is if your using the free 3i stand alone. If you have Virtual Center and are using the licensed 3i you can do alerting thru the VC server.

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

What sort of server do you have? On some of the newer hardware (a couple of years old or newer), CIM-based monitoring of the host is supported. You can log in with the VI Client remotely and look at the Configuration tab. The very first option on that Tab is health status - on some servers you will be able to break out the individual components, including a RAID array. On my Dell PowerEdge 2850s and 1950s I can see the status of the disks in the chassis.

0 Kudos