VMware Cloud Community
visna73
Contributor
Contributor

32bit OS on esxi 64bit , how it manage the memory

Hi guys,

I've installed windows 2008 srv 32bit on ESXi 64bit and I would like to know if I can increase RAM assigned on virtual host over 4Gb. Maybe it is memory useless?

Thanks

Visna

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Dandan712
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think windows 32 bits version is limited to 4GB maiximum RAM

If you want to use more than 4GB for the VM, you need a 64 bits OS version

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I think windows 32 bits version is limited to 4GB maiximum RAM

Nope, not true. 32-bit has nothing to do with memory supported, only version.

Windows standard supports 4GB max, 32 or 64-bit. Windows Enterprise can support 32Gb (32-Bit)

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I've installed windows 2008 srv 32bit on ESXi 64bit and I would like to know if I can increase RAM assigned on virtual host over 4Gb. Maybe it is memory useless?

It depends on which version you installed. If you installed the Standard you have to upgrade to Enterprise to get more RAM. It doesn't matter if it's 32 or 64-bit OS.

ESX is not a 64-bit OS BTW.

0 Kudos
Dandan712
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I' m very sorry, but wrong: It depnds on the architecture ( ie: 32 or 64 bits ) of the OS you use, not the version:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/41531554-d5ef-4f2c-8fb9-149bdc5c8a701033.mspx

For example, I run a windows 2003 STANDARD 64 bits version with 8GB RAM, and even a windwos XP Standard 64 bits version run 8GB RAM !!!

What is the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows?\

<div class="dropCapA">The terms 32-bit and 64-bit refer to the way a computer's (also called a CPU), handles information.

The

64-bit versions of Windows can utilize more memory than 32-bit versions

of Windows. This helps minimize the time spent swapping processes in

and out of memory by storing more of those processes in rather than on the hard disk. This, in turn, can increase overall program performance. For more details, go to<a href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=111538" title="Go to support.microsoft.com and search for "A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows Vista and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista" ">A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows Vista and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista

online.</div>

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Nope dan - YOU are wrong here. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/compare-specs.aspx

4th line down... x86 RAM. Web, Standard = 4 GB; Enterprise, Datacenter = 64 GB.

Robert

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

For example, I run a windows 2003 STANDARD 64 bits version with 8GB RAM, and even a windwos XP Standard 64 bits version run 8GB RAM !

OK, first I am NOT getting into this discussion with you. Feel free to look for my name on posts, and you will see this has been discussed ad nausea dozens of times.

Next YOU are wrong. That's all I am going to say, you can argue, fuss, and rant all you want, but I am telling you.

Windows 2003 Standard and Windows 2008 Standard ONLY (and you can underline, bold and italicize if you want) it ONLY supports 4GB of RAM.

I will bet you a month salary any day of the week, you grab ANY Windows 2003/2008 Standard DVD / CD any version. The MOST Windows Standard will see is 4GB.

PERIOD.

It's the VERSION NOT the architecture. I have Windows 32-bit Enterprise running on a host with 16GB of RAM, so that pretty much blows your theory out of the water, now doesn't it?

Its VERSION not ARCHITECTURE. Don't bother to respond, look up my posts or do a search on 32-bit Windows in this forum. This has been discussed OVER and OVER. Not doing it again.

You have BAD information. I don't CARE what the documentation says, someone made a web page, and they didn't change. Even Microsoft Acknowledges that documentation is FALSE, but they haven't changed the website.

64-bit versions of Windows can utilize more memory than 32-bit versions of Windows

And that is true. It's your interpretation that is lacking. 64-bit can manipulate more RAM at a time than 32-bit, that's true. But STILL doesn't imply Windows can't ALLOCATE memory, that statement refers to program level, NOT OS level.

For example, I run a windows 2003 STANDARD 64 bits version with 8GB RAM, and even a windwos XP Standard 64 bits version run 8GB RAM !

Well that's not possible for Windows Standard, and there is no such thing as 'Standard' version of XP.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

There is an official Windows website. Call them, argue with them, tell them their product is wrong. What does it say under 'Limit in 32-bit Windows'?

Still say I am wrong?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

&gt;I will bet you a month salary any day of the week, you grab ANY Windows 2003/2008 Standard DVD / CD any version. The MOST Windows Standard will see is 4GB.

Send it to me, then, Richard! If you also read the link I posted, you will see:

4th line - x86 RAM, Standard Edition = 4 GB

5th line - x64 RAM, Standard Edition = 32 GB.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

5th line - x64 RAM, Standard Edition = 32 GB.

You will LOSE. I know what THAT page says, but it's STILL wrong. Like I said this has been discussed MANY times.

Windows 2003 / 2008 STANDARD 32-bit OR 64-bit (Genuine Copy) WILL ONLY ONLY SUPORT 4GB of RAM.

PERIOD

Try it yourself, GRAB ANY Windows 2003 / 2008 STANDARD Edition dont' care if it's 32-bit or 64-bit and it will ONLY use 4GB of RAM. I don't care WHAT documentation that says otherwise. IT's WRONG!

Not only that but the LINK I Posted CLEARLY contradicts what you have. That page I sent is the official MSDN technical site.

0 Kudos
jasonlitka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry man, but you're outnumbered on this one. 32-bit versions of Server Standard will only work with 4GB of RAM, 64-bit versions will work with more, just as indicated on the comparison chart already posted. Want proof? Here you go (1 attached). That screenshot was just taken from one of my SQL Server VMs that runs with 8GB of RAM on Windows Server 2008 Standard x64.

EDIT: I just read the MSDN link you posted and it says the same thing. 32-bit Server Standard = 4GB, 64-bit Server Standard = 16GB (2003) or 32GB (2008).

EDIT #2: Are you talking about the very first row in the top chart? If so, that is the maximum amount of addressable memory for a SINGLE 32-bit process on a 32-bit or 64-bit OS.

Jason Litka

Jason Litka http://www.jasonlitka.com
0 Kudos
cmacmillan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As RDParker's link to MSDN shows, the answer is NO: not for Windows 2003 Server Standard 32-bit - the limit is 4GB. It will not use any memory beyond 4GB and you'll just waste the allocation. Upgrade to 32-bit Enterprise or either 64-bit Standard editions (2003 or 2008).

In an virtual environment, the Enterprise license allows for 4 virtual copies (on the same hypervisor) per license. That may be worth the upgrade for you...

--Collin C. MacMillan

SOLORI - Solution Oriented, LLC

Collin C. MacMillan, VCP4/VCP5 VCAP-DCD4 Cisco CCNA/CCNP, Nexenta CNE VMware vExpert 2010-2012 SOLORI - Solution Oriented, LLC http://blog.solori.net If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I just read the MSDN link you posted and it says the same thing. 32-bit Server Standard = 4GB, 64-bit Server Standard = 16GB (2003) or 32GB (2008).

OK, they changed it. Windows 2003 32-bit STANDARD is still limited to 4GB.

Are you talking about the very first row in the top chart? If so, that is the maximum amount of addressable memory for a SINGLE 32-bit process on a 32-bit or 64-bit OS.

OK, But It's not a 32-bit vs 64-bit. Obviously 32-bit Windows can run 32GB of RAM, but Microsoft CAPs it, so the VERSION is limited not the Architecture. The previous poster tried to say it was because of 32-bit vs 64-bit.

So I was wrong about Windows 2008. It STILL holds true for Windows 2003 STANDARD 4GB, 32-bit or 64-bit. I STILL say get a CD or DVD of Windows 2003 STANDARD. Put it in a VM, with more than 4GB of RAM. IT will NOT see more than 4GB of RAM. I know what the page says, but it DOES NOT work. And like I said before, I googled it, because they won't believe me (this was pre-Windows 2008) and at THAT time there was articles written. I have Windows 2003 64-bit STANDARD, I have downloaded many copies, I have other people that have tried. I don't care what you do, Windows 2003 STANDARD 32-bit or 64-bit will not recognize more than 4GB of RAM. Even Microsoft acknowledges this fact, and there is some confusion about whoever makes the documentation, not on the capabilities.

0 Kudos
jasonlitka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry, but your "facts" are wrong on Server 2003 Standard. Only the 32-bit version of Standard is limited to 4GB of memory, the 64-bit version of 2003 Standard is supposed to support up to 16GB of RAM and I have personally run x64 2003 Standard systems with 8GB and 12GB.

Anyway, this is my last post in this thread. I'm not going to waste any more time in an argument against someone who will never believe what I've got to say.

Jason Litka

Jason Litka http://www.jasonlitka.com
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Windows 2003 Standard x64 - 10 GB. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Anyway, this is my last post in this thread. I'm not going to waste any more time in an argument against someone who will never believe what I've got to say.

OK. Whatever you want to post, I posted this a lot. The point of this discussion is it's still not architecture we are talking about, it's Microsoft purposely limiting their products. That's what started this whole thing.

0 Kudos
tresf
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry but you are definitely wrong, even if you insists so much and be so aggressive in some of your posts !!

Whatever you say, it's architecture dependent: 32 bits or 64 bits influence the RAM limit:

2^32bits= 4GB

2^64 bits = 16GB

Anyway, this will also be my ( first and ) last post on this one. I do not have any time to spent with guys like you, so agressive and arrogant in their knowledge.

0 Kudos
EDV-COMPAS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

32bit is limited to 4GB, and IT IS an architecture problem.

some operating systems (MS Enterprise editions) uses PAE to get access to more memory, which needs support from hardware and drivers.

you can read it yourself on the microsoft whdc homepage:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos