VMware Cloud Community
malkiz
Contributor
Contributor

x8 PCI Express Quad Gigabit Ethernet UTP ExpressModule in Sun Blade 6000, x6240

Hi,

i'm running the ESX 3.5 Update 2 on the Sun Blade 6000, using a X6240 Blade Modules, with two Quad Core AMD Opteron processors. My Sun Blade Chassis have two NEMs (Network Express Modules) and one x8 Quad Port GigEth Express Module per each server module. The Sun P/N for this Express Module card is X7287A-Z. ESX server only sees 2 NICs from the NEMs and don't see the NICs from the Express Module.

I've checked the HCL I/O Compatibility Guide and i've noticed that the card i have (X7287A-Z) is not supported yet. I guess that is why i can't see it in the ESX... is that true? Or the reason is that the AMD processors server modules have NEMs connected thrue Intel onboard chipset and Express Modules thrue nVidia onboard chipset? Same problem was in the past with the Fun Fire X4100 which has 2 onboard NICs on Intel chipset and two onboeard NICs on nVidia and the ones with nVidia haven't been seing by ESX (it was solved out later by some patches).

So please tell my if, or when I could expect the cart to be put one the HCL list? Almost the same card but x4 PCI is already there (X7284A-Z).

Or when some patches which will fix that are gonna be release?

thx,

Michal

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sto6ma9ch
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into a similar issue with this card. The HCL points to this:

0 Kudos