VMware Cloud Community
verschijning
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

windows 2003 licenses

Hi,

My supplier told me that it is not possible to run more than 4 windows 2003 standard edition servers on 1 ESX machine.

Can anybody confirm this (or deny) and tell me what licenses I have to use when I want to install more then 4 windows 2003 servers?

Thanks

0 Kudos
28 Replies
Asher_N
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If I have a server with 2 procs, I need a 2 proc license of the MS OS if installed on bare metal.

What if I have a 2 proc ESX, and every VMs are going to be defined as single procs, do I still need a 2 proc licence of Windows?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you are using the datacenter licensing scheme you need a 2 proc license.

If using enterprise or standard it doesn't matter since these are not licensed per CPU.

0 Kudos
Asher_N
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tought as much, but it's worth asking Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
gogogo5
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

But also consider what apps you'll be putting on that VM with 2 vCPUs. If you put something like SQL Server on then this is charged per CPU - physical or virtual. So look at the apps too.

0 Kudos
Asher_N
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's another interesting question. Do you license something like SQL per physical of virtual CPU?

And why would Windows be different?

Message was edited by:

Asher_N

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When using the datacenter licensing model this doesn't mean that you have to run 2 vCPU VMs.

You are allowed to run Standard, Enterprise and Datacenter with as many vCPUs as you want / as ESX permits.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

SQL has two different license models - per user/connection and per CPU.

MS has a licensing model for SQL enterprise similar to datacenter - just download the MS use rights doc.

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I have 10 Esx hosts running 80+ Windows VM's.

Jason

0 Kudos
paulo_meireles
Jump to solution

I have 10 Esx hosts running 80+ Windows VM's.

I guess you mean 80+ VMs each. That's quite nice. May I ask what physical hardware you're using?

Our servers are HP DL585 with four single-core Opterons each. So, technically, running more than 32 vCPUs (4 cores, 8 vCPUs per core) on these machines breaks our support. That's why I mentioned it. Of course, a quad-core 4-way machine could run up to 128vCPUs and still be supported... Smiley Happy

Paulo

0 Kudos