VMware Cloud Community
verschijning
Contributor
Contributor

windows 2003 extreem slow boot

Hi,

I'm running (in test) VMWare ESX 3.0.0. When (re)booting a host os it takes forever (10 minutes is no joke).

I'm running this on a Proliant DL360, dual Xeon (3 Ghz or so) and 2 GB memory.

There are currently running 2 systems with no load (test systems).

Can anybody advice?

0 Kudos
26 Replies
juchestyle
Commander
Commander

When your vm's finally do start, do they still run slowly, or do they move like they should once started.

Have you eliminated the possibility of bad dns settings getting propagated?

Respectfully,

Kaizen!
0 Kudos
verschijning
Contributor
Contributor

It Should be, but it isn't.. Smiley Happy

Lowered the memory, copy of 500Mb is now down to 30 sec.

tnx!

0 Kudos
verschijning
Contributor
Contributor

After doing 2 things my machines are running as they should.

1: Rebuild they RAID (took me 1 day Smiley Happy )

2: Set memory not higher then available memory is box.

Thanks for all your input!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hey glad it's sorted. I've seen a few cases where the RAID array has been giving poor performance but not reporting any errors, I wonder what the cause of the problem is.....

0 Kudos
verschijning
Contributor
Contributor

To be honest I didn't do a Raid rebuild (Hp thinks it not broken, so you can't fix it Smiley Happy ). I did a block resize, I believe from 128 to 256. Maybe that's what did the trick.

This afternoon I will try and set it back, to see if it was the rebuild, or the block size.

Message was edited by:

verschijning

0 Kudos
nathan_austhof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried vmotion'ing the VM off to another host and then back to the same host and it seemed to speed up the boot process. I would have to follow the same process anytime I rebooted it but it did speed it up. Has anyone else noticed if this helps?

Here is a simlar post: http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=74734&start=0&tstart=0

0 Kudos
verschijning
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't been able to revert back to the old situation, maybe this afternoon I will try

0 Kudos