VMware Cloud Community
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what's the max display resolution support by ESX?

a customer have AutoCAD software run on VM, so they want to know the maximum display resolution supported by ESX.

Does it depends on the Physical machine, or OS type of VM?

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
GBromage
Expert
Expert

Are you wanting to run it using the Virtual Center console, or through an RDP session (in a VDI-like envrionment.)

If you run an RDP session in full-screen mode, it will adopt whatever resolution the client device supports. Although, you may want to consider how precise the mouse resolution and response time will be over an RDP link.

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

Are they running AutoCAD via VDI?

How does this work for them?

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As the other posters have noted, the "maximum display resolution" may actually depend on how you're accessing the guest's display. When you use RDP to talk to a Windows guest, you actually connect through and activate an RDP virtual display adapter in the guest which is completely independent of the VMware virtual video card - it has its own framebuffer and supports very large resolutions.

As for the VI Client console/VMware virtual video card, the answer is still "it depends". The default VRAM size in ESX guests is only 4MB which is only enough for about 1152x864x32bpp. You can increase the VRAM size up to (I believe, on ESX,) 64MB, by setting the svga.vramSize parameter in the VM config file to the desired number of bytes.

The reason for the low default value is because VMware's virtual SVGA device VRAM accounts for device overhead memory which cannot be swapped and thus increases the memory pressure on the machine.

dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also ask WYSE the question, they say if using thin client, it depends on the thin client device.

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
0 Kudos