VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

what do I need to install on ESX console to see SAN

Is there something I need to install on my ESX 3.5 console to see the SAN LUNS? The storage is EMC clarion

0 Kudos
10 Replies
krishkk
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You dont need any additional S/w to see SAN in VI client . Provided the Hba is in HCL . or might need to install the respective device driver for HBA in ESX.

Just ensure the HBA driver is loaded using cmd on the esx box.

"vmkload_mod -l "

If loaded use

"esxcfg-mpath -l" to list all the LUN along with the path.

Thanks

krish

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

dont I have to install some rpm package from EMC to register the servers to navisphere? or there is a cli package or something?

0 Kudos
mikemast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have 2 EMC clarions, and dont install any software. You have to manually register the hosts in navisphere, once they show in the commection manager, after zonning the switches.

I dont recommend installing any EMC software on the ESX hosts, it is not needed.

Mike

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

well we installed this rpm file and rebooted and now its showing up in navi. how do you manually registeres it in navisphere?

0 Kudos
mikemast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In conectivity status ( right click on the SAN s/n in navisphere) the new host will show up with its WWN, highlight that and click "New" at the bottom.

From there you can put int he host name and IP. Once it is registered , you can then add the host to a storage group. Rescan the SAN in ESX and you will then be able to see the LUNs in that storage group.

Mike

0 Kudos
krishkk
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Once you have configured on the storage side i.e storage group and added host to it, and ensure the zoning is right on the san switch, Just rescan in ESX or reboot your esx server and use the command in last thread.

No storage s/w needed atall

Thanks

krish

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

this is the rpm file we installed in order for navispher to see the hosts. why is that?

naviserverutil-6.28.10.3.11-1

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

You shouldn't have installed it at all.

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

I didnt. The SAN guys did. Will it be a problem with this installed? NAvisphere does see the hosts now but it wasnt able to before

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

The SAN guys didn't need it either - its 100 % possible to allocate LUNs to ESX hosts from Clariion without that software installed. They may have preferred it, or possibly not known how to do it without it, but it IS possible.

It may or may not cause a problem - its not 'supported' to have it installed.

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos