VMware Cloud Community
njd62495
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

.vswp file with reservation?

I'm a little confused. I have an ESX 3.5 update 5 server that has 2 VM's on it that are configured with 4 GB of RAM and I also set the reservation for the memory on the vm's to 4GB.

I was a little confused when I logged onto the host to the file location of the vm's only to see a 4GB .vswp file for each vm.

I thought the .vswp file was created from the difference between RAM allocated and any reservation set for the memory.

Or am I missing something???

If I reserve 4GB of physical RAM on the host for the vm I would never need to use the .vswp file which is taking up disk space on my LUN. It's not a big deal because disk space is not an issue I just dont understand why the .vswp file would be there.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Have these reservations been set after the VMs were powered on?

If so they ofc need to be powered off to trigger the deletion of the exsiting .vswp file.. then powered back up..

/Rubeck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi - a vswp file size is based upon the memory limit minus the memory reservation. If you change your memory limit to 4096MB do you then have a vswp file?

Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Have these reservations been set after the VMs were powered on?

If so they ofc need to be powered off to trigger the deletion of the exsiting .vswp file.. then powered back up..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Reservation can be changed with a VM powered on, but the .vswp file is always recreated only when VM will be powered-on.

So be sure that you have stop and started the VMs.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
njd62495
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guy...the VM's were still powered on when I made the change.

Why I thought it changed on the fly dont ask me...it was a looooooooong day.

0 Kudos