VMware Cloud Community
kurtwest
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vswitch CLI configuration question

Is there a way to set a NIC as stanby on a port group throug the CLI? I want my Service Console to use vmnic0 as primary and vmnic1 as Standby and my VMKernel to use vmnic1 as primary and vmnic0 as standby.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Try Xtravirt's vimsh for networking. It can be found at: .

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Try Xtravirt's vimsh for networking. It can be found at: .

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
0 Kudos
kurtwest
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This doc is helpful, but it doesn't mention changing the nic order on a portgroup.

0 Kudos
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can't assign NICs to a port group, only to a vSwitch.

0 Kudos
kurtwest
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can going into the Port Group and Override the vSwitch failover order. That is what I am trying to do in my script. Ex: vSwitch0 has vmnic0 and 1 as Active, but the SC and VMKernel port groups override that setting and use one vmnic as primary and the other vmnic as the backup.

0 Kudos
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ah, I see now... I dug around in vimsh and it looks like they have some syntax to get there. Here it is:

$ hostsvc/net/portgroup_set

Usage: portgroup_set vswitch portgroup

Sets the properties on a portgroup.

Options:

--nicorderpolicy-active=vmnic_list

List of active NICs.

--nicorderpolicy-standby=vmnic_list

Order in which failover should occur.

There are a number of other options, but experimenting with these should get you there.

kurtwest
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much sir.

0 Kudos