VMware Cloud Community
tzjkb
Contributor
Contributor

vpxuser uid and gid: is it ok to change?

vpxuser:x:500:100:VMware VirtualCenter administration account:/home/vpxuser:/bin/false

Just curios if we can change these.

We are trying to manage uids and these are already taken.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

vpxuser is a regular user, so it should be ok to change the UID/GID, because it is a low privileged account anyway. You want to test this on a non-prod system, of course, or just reassign the UID/GID you are already using to something else. Just in case the ID is embedded anywhere, which it shouldn't be.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hi,

There is no issue with changing the UID, I have done it on some of my hosts and they are running without complaint.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
tzjkb
Contributor
Contributor

This is a followup,

If not with the vpxuser, how VC continues to administer ESX host even after I change the password on the root account for the ESX host?

I mean I didn't have to retype new password. So somehow VC is able to keep track of ESX administration rights for particular server.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

The vpx agent is installed after adding to vc. Once added, the daemon will take care of the connection between VC and ESX, and you can change the root password, as you need. The communications will stay intact by virtue of the agent.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos