VMware Cloud Community
periferral
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmxnet on solaris: how to create a vlan interface

Hi all

I have a Solaris VM. I install VMWare tools and is successfully running. However, I am trying to create vlan interfaces and it does not seems to work. Any help is appreciated. Here is where I am at

ifconfig -a shows me vmxnet0 and vmxnet1

#ifconfig vmxnet91001 plumb 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

ifconfig: plumb: vmxnet91001: Invaild argument

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RenaudL
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Try this:

Given a physical interface named “ce0″ that will be associated with VLAN 500, the formula to create the interface would be:

ce + (VLAN number * 1000 + instance number)

So in the example above, you would use an interface named ce500000 to tell the host to process 802.1Q tagged Ethernet frames destined for VLAN 500

That's exactly what he's trying to do Smiley Happy The command is good, he's trying to reach VLAN 91 on vmxnet1.

Unfortunately our current vmxnet driver, which uses GLDv2, doesn't support VLANs 😕 An upgraded driver is in the pipe, however you'll have to wait a bit for it.

In the meantime you could use an e1000 adapter, it'll do the job just fine here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the best way to do vlan tagging is through the vswitches configured on your esx host - check vlans out in the config guide -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
periferral
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i agree that this would be the approach if I was doing a few vlans. However, I'm setting up a multi-testbed server setup and I will have about a few hundred vlans. For Linux, Ive done this using vconfig and ifconfig and on the vswitch I've allowed 4095 (all) and this is working fine.

I'm just looking to see if I can do the same for solaris. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try this:

Given a physical interface named “ce0″ that will be associated with VLAN 500, the formula to create the interface would be:

So in the example above, you would use an interface named ce500000 to tell the host to process 802.1Q tagged Ethernet frames destined for VLAN 500

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
RenaudL
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Try this:

That's exactly what he's trying to do Smiley Happy The command is good, he's trying to reach VLAN 91 on vmxnet1.

Unfortunately our current vmxnet driver, which uses GLDv2, doesn't support VLANs 😕 An upgraded driver is in the pipe, however you'll have to wait a bit for it.

In the meantime you could use an e1000 adapter, it'll do the job just fine here.

0 Kudos
periferral
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

renaudL . thanks for the pointer.

I actually managed to get this working this morning before your replied. But nonetheless thanks much.

For other who will read this thread, until the update driver works, you need to go to the vmx file and ADD the line

ethernet1.virtualDev="e1000" (in my case 2nd adapter)

After a reboot, the driver of choice was intel and I managed to configure vlans just fine.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

:smileygrin: I didn't fully see the "vmxnet91001" in the original post. Funny things you don't realize when you post. Anyway, good suggestion to use e1000. You deserve some points!!!!

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos