VMware Cloud Community
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

vmware tools "a general system error occured"

hello,

i just converted physical machine with converter 3 to vm. everything is working fine,but when i am trying to install vmware tools i am getting the following message :"a general system error occured:internal error".

what can i do ?

right now the vm is up but without vmware tools.

i already tried to mount vmwaretools directly from my esx ,but then i am getting another error :"vmwareservice.exe - application error. the application failed to initialize propely (0x0000005)."

note : i am using esx 3.0.1,and this vm is a windows 2000 sp4.

respectfully,

avi

Message was edited by:

azerrad

0 Kudos
19 Replies
frankdenneman
Expert
Expert

w2k Professional or server?

Professional seems to be unsupported in vmware 3.0.1.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/GuestOS_guide.pdf

VMware ESX Server 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1, 2.5, 2.5.1, 2.5.2, 2.5.3, 2.5.4, 3.0, 3.0.1—Windows 2000 Server,

Advanced Server, and Terminal Services Edition, Service Pack 3 or 4

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 ‐ Update Rollup 1 supported on ESX Server 2.5.4

Virtual SMP supported

If you go to the windows explorer in your vm, you will see a mounted vmtools image on the cd.

Do you see it and can you run it via autorun?

Blogging: frankdenneman.nl Twitter: @frankdenneman Co-author: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical Deepdive, vSphere 5x Clustering Deepdive series
0 Kudos
frankdenneman
Expert
Expert

Go to the directory where the vm is installed and check the vmware-**.log

If you are running w2k prof it might state the following: VMware Tools package is not available for the guest operating

system "Other". Please check Virtual Machine Settings again to make sure that the guest operating system you are running is on the list.

Blogging: frankdenneman.nl Twitter: @frankdenneman Co-author: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical Deepdive, vSphere 5x Clustering Deepdive series
0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

hi ,

the vm machine is windows2000 server enterprise edition +sp4.

from the vc when i am clicking "install vmware tools" i am getting error:

"a general system error occured: internal error".

and when i am mounting the vmware tools from the esx i got the error message as already described at my first query..

respectfully,

avi

0 Kudos
frankdenneman
Expert
Expert

hi ,

the vm machine is windows2000 server enterprise

edition +sp4.

Do you mean windows 2000 advanced or windows 2003 enterprise?

Do you see any errors in the vmware-**.log in the vm directory on the vmfs datastore?

and when i am mounting the vmware tools from the esx i got the error message as already described at my first query..

Does the mounted cd show up in explorer?

Message was edited by:

Frank_D

0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

the vm is windows 2000 advanced server + sp4.

2) at the esx datastore there isnt error data about the server.

0 Kudos
frankdenneman
Expert
Expert

The vmware.log of the vm isn't stating any errors?

Can you check the Guest operating system type on the Options tab of the properties of the VM?

Guest operating system is Microsoft windows, and Microsoft Windows 2000 advanced server is selected?

azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

yes you are right,instead of "windows 2000 advanced server" it was on "other".

now i can mount from the vc (as the regular way to install vmware tools) and i can see the vmware installation,but there is another error while installing :

:"vmwareservice.exe - application error. the application failed to initialize propely (0x0000005)."

what can i do ?

respectfully,

avi

0 Kudos
frankdenneman
Expert
Expert

have you rebooted the VM?

i think the nvram (virtual bios) needs to adjusted to that change.

0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

yes

i already rebooted the machine twice (after the change ).

even after rebooting i still get the error :

"vmwareservice.exe - application error. the application failed to initialize propely (0x0000005)."

while installing vmware tools.

Message was edited by:

azerrad

0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

i couldnt find any article abouth those messages...

0 Kudos
frankdenneman
Expert
Expert

Have you made a change to the default windows ACL's?

0 Kudos
asyntax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have seen this where the VMware tools image is corrupt on the ESX host. You can re-copy it down from an ESX install CD and run the update script to add it back onto the server.

You can also mount the CD up on another system and copy the files over the network and run the install locally. There is nothing magical about having to run it from the ‘install VMware tools’ option.

Even though 2000 may or may not be listed, it does work and VMware tools do work on it.

0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

no i didtn change the acl.

0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

i am having 2 esx's in cluster..

so i just moved the vm to another esx(so that the next vmwaretools installation will be from another esx server) and then i tried to install vmware tools,but again the same errors...while installing:

"vmwareservice.exe - application error. the application failed to initialize propely (0x0000005)."

i think that this error will need to focus us at windows side because this error message is windows error ,maybe we need to close some services or remove some programs before we installing vmwaretools ?

note : i already installed vmwaretools on more than 10 servers (windows 2000 advanced server+sp4) ,my issue is only at this specific server..

respectfully,

avi

0 Kudos
frankdenneman
Expert
Expert

Maybe your right about the windows problem.

what happens if you run setup of the vmtools manually?

Mount the vmtools iso, go to windows explorer, right click on the cdrom drive and select explore, run setup.exe.

Connect the vmtools iso to the VM:

Select Edit settings of VM

Select CD/DVD drive

Select connected

Browse to /vmimages/tools-isoimages/windows.iso

0 Kudos
azerrad
Contributor
Contributor

i,

i already tried ,i am getting the same errors.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

"vmwareservice.exe - application error. the

application failed to initialize propely

(0x0000005)."

0x000005 is normally a memory access violation. Or to put it in plain english, the application is trying to address memory which isn't there.

So either your setup is corrupt or you're having memory problems of some sort.

If the service is already installed then it might help uninstalling the thing first.

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
vanglabekea
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have this situation. Can you explain in detail how to do this re-copy?

Thanks.

A.

0 Kudos
asyntax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mount up or put int the ESX CD go to the vmware/rpms folder and run

rpm -i VMware-esx-tools-3.0.1-32039.i386.rpm

0 Kudos