VMware Cloud Community
heery
Contributor
Contributor

vmotion fails when moving guest which resides on a MS NFS store.

I have been trying to vmotion a guest which resides on a ms nfs server. IF the guest is powered down then the vmotion completes ok. If the guest is powered on i get an error stating that "unable to migrate from xxxx to xxxx: unable to access the virtual machine configuration: unable to access file.

??

0 Kudos
3 Replies
divintas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you mean a svmotion?

If yes. svmotion is not fully supported for nfs... maybe there is an issue with this ms config. Did you try the certified nfs source Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 ?

regards

0 Kudos
heery
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thanks for the response. I found that the target host did not have access to the nfs storage but when this was enabled I was able to drag and drop the guest from one host to another with no problems. SVmotion only works when the guest is switched off in which case i am given the option to move it another host and specify the target storage location.

The move of a host and change of storage location seems to work ok for me now with MS NFS (on R2) i was worried about your statement that svmotion is not fully supported with nfs are there a lot of known issues?

0 Kudos
divintas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok... you mean vmotion.

btw... svmotion can be done online too with esx3.5 .... but not with the VIC... see postings in this forum.

I don't think there are lot of issues when you svmotion from iscsi or nfs (maybe longer I/O stop because of latency) but this feature is atm only supported for FC.... Hope this will change in the next month.

I did some testing with iscsi and nfs .... for me it worked perfect.

regards,

0 Kudos