VMware Cloud Community
saravana_k_r
Contributor
Contributor

vmotion error-reg

I am using ESX 3.5. I tried to move a virtual machine from 10.76.151.103 to 10.76.151.104 host. I had no problems until the vmotion status became 90 %. once when 90 % of vmotion completes an error message comes "A general system error occured:" the error details are given in the picture below. please help me in doing the vmotion.

Thank you

0 Kudos
12 Replies
christianZ
Champion
Champion

You have not Gb connection for your VMotion - when the both hosts have a Gb nic you can use simple cat5E cable to connect them for vmotion.

0 Kudos
gabb
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem in one of my hosts... at least is the same error and its happened at 90% of the vmotion process.

we did the follow implementation:

• 1. 3 hosts ESX 3.5

• 2. Virtual Center 2.5

• 3. We have a HA and DRS cluster.

• 4. We use Fiber Channel SAN.

• 5. Hardware is identical in all the 3 servers.

Everything is working fine, except the part of "vmotion in the third server" the behavior of vmotion is:

Server1

• Vmotion works ok from server 1 to server 2

• Vmotion works ok from server 1 to server 3

Server2

• Vmotion works ok from server2 to server 1

• Vmotion works ok from server2 to server 3

Server3

• Vmotion starts works but an error message appears when the progress is around 90% ( I am sending the screen too)

I attach the screen

Any idea of what is happening?????

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Have you checked the /var/log/vmkernel file for any warnings during vmotion?

0 Kudos
saravana_k_r
Contributor
Contributor

I have still problem with the 90 % vmotion error. I have seen the warnings in /var/log/vmkernel. I have attached them as a picture in this post. please help me in this matter to eliminate the vmotion 90% completion error

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

I guess you will always get problems when your vmotion runs over 100Mb connection.

0 Kudos
saravana_k_r
Contributor
Contributor

is there any remedy for this... In my server i hve totally two 100 mB nic card. Shall i combine those two cards so that i may get higher bandwidth and i can be able to vmotion. Please tell whether i can do atleast with this....?

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

2 X100Mb cards won't make any differences - only one can be used. So w/o Gbit card you won't get clear vmotion (it is only supported with Gb cards). Sorry.

0 Kudos
saravana_k_r
Contributor
Contributor

ok...but i hve heard people say in blog that they have done vmotion using 100 MB nic CARDS. So is it not possible to vmotion using 100 MB cards?

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

On my test hosts that works too - but I have only vms with 512 MB ram. For vms with e.g. 2 GB ram it could be to slow (maybe).

Are the both nics running full duplex?

Post following here:

esxcfg-nics -l

esxcfg-vswif -l

esxcfg-vswitch -l

esxcfg-vmknic -l

Are these nics the same type?

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

In your other thread I can see that your vm has a snapshot active - maybe that's your problem here.

0 Kudos
saravana_k_r
Contributor
Contributor

I have seen the configuration of all the three ESX servers.

I have attached the screenshot of all these 3 ESX server configurations.

there is a small variation in the configuration from 10.76.151.103 server to 10.76.151.104 server in the esxcfg-vswitch -l.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

In that case I would try to configure vmnic1 for vmotion and to change the patch cable.

0 Kudos