VMware Cloud Community
AlexNG_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmnic load balancing

Hi all,

After a lot of reading, and not finding what I'm looking for, I just ask a question to the gurus.... :smileyblush:

Ok, the situation is as follows:

Actually 2 ESX 3.5 U4 (in a near future about 50) and vCenter 2.5U4.

Each ESX has 6 nics, configured as follows:

2 vmnics for SC and vMotion

4 vmnics for VMs but, as follos:
2 vmnics to one core switch
2 vmnics to another core switch

We've a lot of VLANs, and for easy understanding i'll simplify a bit....

Switchs are not stacked and, actually they will not be upgraded to do so.

We want to send one VLAN through 2 vmnics to switch A and the rest of VLANs throgh the other two nics to switch B. I'll call the first ones PortGroupA and the rest PortGroupB (in fasct PortGoups, because we've a lot of vlans....).

So PortGroupA with 2 vmnics to switch A, and PortGroupB with 2 nics to SwitchB

What I'm looking for is if it's possible to set PortGroupA with a 2Active-2Passive vmnics and PortGroupB 2Passive-2Active vmnics, BUT, if any of the 2vmnic team (in any of both PortGroups) fails then, the ESX should balance ALL the PG traffic to the other two nics.... A bit confusing, yes....

Let see:

vSwitch with vmnic2, 3, 4, 5

PortGroupA with active nics vmnic2 and 3, and passive nics vmnic4 and 5

PortGroupB with active nics vmnic4 and 5, and passive nics vmnic2 and 3

What I want... if vmnic2 or 3 fails, then PortGroup balance ALL network activity to vmnic4 and 5, and the same in the other way, if 4 or 5 fails, then balance everithing to 2 and 3.

Hope anybody understands all that, and can give me some hints or directions on that! :smileygrin:

AlexNG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" / "helpful".
0 Kudos
2 Replies
jbruelasdgo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

actually you could achieve that with VMware

but I need to tell you this: your network team would have to be very careful with all the trunks, VLANs, etc

Jose

Jose B Ruelas http://aservir.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
AlexNG_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jose,

Ok, but not sure about the right steps... Could you please give me any hint?

Alex

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" / "helpful".
0 Kudos