VMware Cloud Community
Bill_Evans
Contributor
Contributor

vmkfstools missing AND other problem

I recently setup an ESX 3.x box with a few VMs on it. I want to start backing up the VMs that are on there and creating templates. I was able to do this with ESX 2.x without much trouble. When I run vmkfstools on the ESX 3.x the system cannot find it. Any thoughts?

Also, I cannot get the root account to SSH console or file transfer from a workstation to the ESX 3.x box. I had to create another user account and use that to first get in. Any ideas? Is this by design?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Raymond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,

Root Access for SSH is off by default. This is new in VI3, you need to create a another user and then su -

So you would log into using ur non root account then type

su -

enter in the root password.

I would then try the vmkfstools

What switch are u trying to use to backup the VMs.

0 Kudos
Bill_Evans
Contributor
Contributor

Raymond,

Thanks for the reply. I thought that root SSH access would be disabled, but didnt see it anywhere in the documentation.

As to backing up the VMs I used the following command:

vmkfstools -i /vmfs/volumes/storage1/TEST1/TEST1.vmdk -d 2gbsparse /mnt/file1smb/TEST1/TEST1.vmdk

Just a note, the file1smb folder in mnt is an SMB share to a Windows file server.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yep that should work fine. The reason it gave a command not found error for vmkfstools is probably because you omitted the minus sign from the su command, you need to include it sets the paths as root.

Heres a script for automating what you're doing, it's free. Smiley Happy

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=70253

0 Kudos
Bill_Evans
Contributor
Contributor

mittell,

Thank you very much! The minus :smileyminus: fixed my problem. I am moving along nicely.

Thanks again!

Bill

0 Kudos