VMware Cloud Community
Bill_Evans
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmkfstools clone error

Hello all.

I just had an issue importing a VM from a standalone station (flat file) into ESX server. I used VMware Coverter to create the VM that I wanted to use. I then used the command line to attempt the import of this VM to ESX with the following command:

vmkfstools -i /mnt/file1smb/test/test1.vmdk vmhba0:0:0:0:test1.vmdk

That resulted in a clone and I stopped it with Ctrl+C. I then tried:

vmkfstools -i /mnt/file1smb/test/test1.vmdk vmhba0:0:0:3:test1.vmdk

It failed with the error message that there was not enough free space. However, I had deleted the temporary clone files that were created. After this I used VMware Converter to import the VM into ESX. This worked flawlessly. I am concerned that there may be something "left over" from the clone command that I cancelled. Any thoughts on this? Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If your VMs and your LUN is ok and there's no clone-files left on the LUN you are fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The first clone was created on vmhba0:0:0:0 the second on vmhba0:0:0:3.

Are you sure that vmhba0:0:0:3 has enough free space as well?

Bill_Evans
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your post.

I am somewhat new to VMware/ESX. I am not sure which of the two is the correct to use. There is only one storage device attached to this ESX server. I was assuming that vmhba0:0:0:0 was a "virtual" / default entry and vmhba0:0:0:3 was the correct storage device.

For clarification, when I launch Virtual Infrastructure Client and review the ESX server I see the following under the configuration tab:

Storage: storage1 vmhba0:0:0:3 Capacity 128GB Free 70GB Type vmfs3

Storage Adapters: vmhba0:0:0:0

From that I am assuming that vmhba0:0:0:0 is the entire disk/raid array and vmhba0:0:0:3 is a partition/section of that physical disk where the VMs are stored. My concern is that I ran the import command against vmhba0:0:0:0 initally (and by accident). I am not concerned with the second command failing as much as I am the incorrect import/clone I ran that I cancelled. How can I be sure that I removed anything that was partially created?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If your VMs and your LUN is ok and there's no clone-files left on the LUN you are fine.

0 Kudos