VMware Cloud Community
donlee
Contributor
Contributor

vm administrator cannot change CD-ROM ISO images

Hello, I have granted a user VM Administrator to a VM under Virtualcenter but the option to browse for an ISO image is greyed out and unusable. what additional permissions does a user need to be able to click and use the browse button?

using ESX 3.0.1 + all patches

using virtualcenter 2.0.1 patch 2

iso images are in the root of the VMFS partition.

thanks

Don

0 Kudos
9 Replies
EkilErif
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting, Basically VM Administrator has full right bar managing of permissions. Ie. VM Administrator cant modify roles, reassign role permissions and modify permissions.

Are you able to browse the datastore by right clicking on the Datastore in the summary page and clicking browse datastore?

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

I think these users need to get the Browse Datastore permission on the appropriate host\hosts

0 Kudos
jcayer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can he mount an ISO...just not browse?

We have a similar problem. I am a VM Admin for numerous boxes, but cannot browse to mount an ISO. I can type in the LUN/ISO and it will mount. Our VMWare guru has bigger fish to fry, so I settled for a listing of all the ISO images on the ISO LUN.

jcayer

0 Kudos
EkilErif
Contributor
Contributor

Thats interesting.... I'm going to try recreate the problem!

Ok I've created a standard VM Admin logon and they are able to browse without problem. Does someone not already have an iso mounted? Perhaps your VM Admin profile is not using the standard VM Admin group and you need to check on exact permissions. Seems that you will need to grant Datastore - Browse Datastore permissions.

0 Kudos
donlee
Contributor
Contributor

As an administrator of the entire datacenter I can add cdroms for the end user, they just need to have me on the phone or I can give the account more access than it needs to resolve the issue. It looks to me like the account not only needs access to the VM but access to the server as well.

the account cannot see the vmfs volume objects on the summary page.

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey,

See my post above. You could create a role that gives nothing but browse datastore access to the users requiring it on the servers they need to browse on.

You could do this at a pretty high level and then have it propagate if this would be for all servers

0 Kudos
donlee
Contributor
Contributor

unfortunately I tried this very thing and it did not work. so far the only thing that worked was to give the user Power users access to the datacenter object. Once I made this change, the volume object was accessible.

0 Kudos
BryanS
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if you have seen this thread:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=434641&#434641

It was successful for my configuration.

0 Kudos
dlevens
Contributor
Contributor

how do you do these steps: